The Hocking Glass Company was founded in Lancaster, Ohio in 1905. Although the company originally produced handmade items, by the 1920s the firm was manufacturing a wide variety of wares including chimneys and lantern globes, tableware, tumblers, and novelties. Hocking introduced its first line of pressed glass dinnerware in 1928. Molded etched tableware was released shortly thereafter.
Following the acquisition of several glass houses in the 1920s, Hocking began producing new glass containers. In 1937 Hocking merged with the Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation, resulting in a name change in 1939 to Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation. In 1969 the company became Anchor Hocking Corporation.
References: Gene Florence, “Anchor Hocking’s Fire-King & More,” Collector Books, 1998; Philip Hopper, “Royal Ruby,” Schiffer Publishing, 1998.
– Harry L. Rinker
“Official Price Guide to Collectibles”
Comments are closed.