Home > News, Articles & Multimedia > Blog Entry > Collecting JFK

Collecting JFK

by Tom Carrier (04/25/08).
Magazines featuring JFK
Magazines featuring JFK
Newspapers featuring JFK
Newspapers featuring JFK
JFK First Day Cover
Magazines featuring JFK
JFK Commemorative plate
White House card with printed sentiment and signature
Magazines featuring JFK
Official condolence card from Jackie Kennedy
JFK 'Profiles in Courage' book
JFK Commemorative creamers
JFK Commemorative salt and pepper shakers
Personal book of JFK with bookplate
JFK Campaign tab
JFK 1960 campaign brochure
JFK Commemorative Memorial stamps
White House photo with printed sentiment and signature
JFK Inaugural Medal

Memorial Edition of Life Magazine featuring JFK

There are events in our lives that stand out like no others. Most of us in my generation know where we were and what we were doing on Nov. 22, 1963 when we learned that John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

In the hours and days that followed, we lived the tragedy through media coverage of an almost unreal series of events culiminating with his funeral. It consumed our lives and we saved the newspapers and magazines with their black borders and bulletin-sized headlines. Later we bought commemorative items like glassware salt and pepper shakers that we dutifully packed and unpacked whenever we moved.

More recently, high profile estate sales brought us closer to the personal side of JFK when the combs he used, the sunglasses he wore, and even his underwear went up for auction. Prices reached astronomical levels.

But what about the value of everyday JFK items we’ve lived with all these years? Did their values rise as well? Yes and no. Let’s review the JFK collectible market and see why that is.

PERSONAL VALUE: Like any collectible of a significant national event such as the JFK assassination, items directly associated with the person have a higher collector value. If JFK touched it, owned it, gave it away, signed it, displayed it, wore it, bought it, loved it, cared for it, sat in it or visited it, that item is a first-level of collectible and commands a higher value. This is true of any historical figure from George Washington to George W. Bush.

ASSOCIATION VALUE: Items related to his political years of Congress, Senate and White House would have a relatively high level of value based on its proximity to JFK. The sign on the door of his office or on his desk, campaign signs, bumper stickers, schedules and business cards would bring values about half of those associated with items that held personal value.

EVENT VALUE: The newspapers, magazines, the funeral items and any item associated only with the assassination itself, but not a personal link or an-association with JFK, have a third level of value. These are more common items, but limited within a brief time frame.

COMMEMORATIVE VALUE: Glassware, photos, books, jewelry, plates, buttons, posters, recordings, movies, salt and pepper shakers, videos and other items were mass produced and sold to gift outlets well after JFK’s death to keep his memory alive. These commemoratives are quite plentiful and are not considered scarce or even limited. Their value continues to be the lowest in the collectible JFK market.

There are exceptions. For example, a set of keys to his Dallas limousine came to my attention some time ago. However, the keys couldn’t be verified as authentic and so the value dropped to about $10. Who knows how much they could have been worth? The keys would have had an event value, but an unusual one, so its value could be more significant than a normal event item.

Naturally, condition plays an important role, too. A personal item, such as a book in very poor condition, still would command a higher value because of its personal connection, but not as high as it could have been.

It may seem odd or a bit unseemly to consider JFK in the context of collectibles. After all, many of us remember his life and his tragic assassination with deep emotion. You might well have carried some of that attachment to your special JFK items nearly 45 years after his death. But like stocks, bonds, and real estate, our collectibles eventually need to be evaluated as to their investment value, too.

If you know where your item fits within the JFK collectible world, the better you’ll understand its value and the value of your collection overall.

229 Responses to “Collecting JFK”

1. My mother in-law has 2 8×10 pictures of John F.Kenndy and his wife Jackie. They are taken at Kelly Air Force base on Nov.22,1963 when he visted San Antonio Texas. One is outside after they got off plane, with San Antonio Police and the other is with a group of people..One is lightly colored and the other is back and white..They are both outside pictures..On the back each one they say Offical Photgraph US AIRFORCE. Kelly Air Force Base,Texas
    Could you tell me if they are worth anything? I myself loved John F Kennedy

Barbara:

These are officially produced photos of the commander-in-chief authorized for use by the US Air Force. Photos of this type like the ones used for official civilian publications or official White House photos have more of a collector value than individual photos.

Generally, the value of the photos depend on the historical nature of the photos themselves. Yours are standard meet and greet type of photos and are appreciated by collectors for use in framed displays, usually with a signature.

The value of your photos to collectors would have a value of between $20 to $45 each.

2. Debbie O. says:

I am wondering what the pair of binoculars that President Kennedy used at the White Sands Missile Range might be worth. My father was in the military, based in NM when President Kennedy went to view the missile range. He was present during the visit and from what my mother remembers, was part of a security team at the event. After the viewing of the missile launches, he handed my father the binoculars he used. I somewhat recall my father telling me that he said “here soldier, hang on to these”. I used to sit for hours looking out of them while on camping trips and family vacations. When my father passed years ago, they were passed down to me. I also have pictures my father took during the visit with his own camera. I remember growing up with a darkroom in the basement of our home, but do not have the negatives. After doing some further research, I found that President Kennedy was the only President that visited White Sands Missile Range while in office. I also found pictures of him using the binoculars that I own and also 90% sure my father is in some pictures while at the event. (He was very young back then) Any help with value would be greatly appreciated. I have attached links to some pictures and I hope they show up as links.

My father on the left in uniform

President Kennedy using the field binoculars

I think that is my father taking the picture on the right, that is the camera that was passed to my brother. It looks like the binoculars are already hanging from his neck.

Debbie:

A couple of years ago, I got a similar question from a family asking the value of a presidential automobile flag given to a relative by President Eisenhower. Without definite evidence to suggest that the flag was given by President Eisenhower (and I found none) I had to place a value on the flag, not the story.

I have to do the same here. Certainly, the photos suggest that the binoculars were used by President Kennedy, then handed to your father. No one will dispute the story. Unfortunately, the farther away from the event time goes the value will be placed on the binoculars themselves, not the story since there is no definite evidence to suggest that President Kennedy actually used them (apart from a set of photos of Kennedy looking through a similar pair of binoculars).

Having a historical connection to an item has to be more than ephemeral, there has to be something more tangible such as a letter that describes them, an inventory listing them, a note from President Kennedy to your father mentioning the binoculars, and so on.

As it stands, the value would be placed on what a set of military binoculars of the 1960s would be worth today without the Kennedy connection.

Worthologist

• thomas j terrell says:

Tom,

I have 1960 LS Hudson signed inaugral plate for JFK Delano studios NY. It is in mint condition and has the Delano crest on the reverse side. I wonder if it is worth anything?

TJ

Mr. Terrell:

Virtually any commemorative presidential plate with a color transfer design from the 1950s onward were made in such large quantities that none have a retail value higher than $10 to $25. There may be exceptions, but they are very few.

Recent auctions of this plate featured on WorthPoint.com realize the value between $12 and $17 for the JFK alone and from $20 and $35 for both JFK and Jackie.

Thanks for your question.

3. Cindy says:

I’m Woundering what a fk 5cent 1963 stamp that has never been used would be worth.

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Cindy: The stamp is probably not especially valuable. You can ask any stamp dealer regarding its value, but it has to be at or just above face value.

4. Mary says:

I am trying to find out the value of a letter that I have that John F. Kennedy, Jr. wrote two weeks after the death of his uncle, Robert Kennedy. The letter is written from Hammersmith Farms in Newport, RI on Hammersmith Farms letterhead. The letter is encased in heavy plastic I also have the addressed envelope with the postage mark on it from Newport. John was just a child and after the funeral of RFK, Jackie and the children came to Hammersmith Farms. Any information would be helpful. I would like to put this up for auction. Thank you!

Mary:

John F. Kennedy, Jr. was about 8 years old when he wrote this thank you letter to a family friend. Your photos sent to me indeed suggest it to be authentic.

While the letter is interesting, it is more a case of celebrity by association, not by accomplishment. If the 8 year old writer were my own son, it would have more sentimental value than auction value. I say that not to be difficult, but to be cautionary. Just because a person is associated with a historical figure, it doesn’t always follow that their writings have immediate historical value, too.

On the other hand, what I was hoping for was some mention in JFK, Jr’s letter about the death of his uncle, Robert Kennedy, two weeks before. Any mention would have had a more personal connection to an historical event giving the letter a much higher value both historical and monetary. Since your letter is merely a generic thank you letter (one his mother probably had him write), it is interesting, but not historical.

A quick check on WorthPoint showed the only other immediate value of JFK, Jr’s early writings was an auction in 2005 of 29 of his schoolwork sold apparently by the teacher who graded them. Part of the collection included handwritten essays complete with signature. The total auction value was $1200, or about $41 for each paper.

In later life, JFK Jr’s signature has been auctioned for up to $300 or so. Although its hard to say what the market will bear these days for your letter, I can’t help but think the value is about $50 to $100.

I hope this helps.

5. debbie says:

i am interested in knowing what the newspapers featuring the death of jfk are selling for and where i can go to sell it

Debbie:

Newspapers announcing the death of JFK are very plentiful. Remember, most Americans got their news from daily newspapers then instead of the internet or late night talk shows like they do today.

Except for the very early the daily Dallas edition of November 22, 1963, most newspapers have a retail value of $5 to $10 as long as it is in very good condition and is complete (just the front section won’t do).

Where to sell it? Apart from WorthPoint’s own classifieds section, traditional online auctions or buy it now are another option as well as checking into your local antique/collectibles store (but you’ll be selling it for only a dollar or two in good condition).

Hope that helps.

6. Mike Driscoll says:

My father was a former Mass. State Police Officer, for a while he worked as a photographer for the State Police. My mother has 3 photos of JFK 8″ x 10″ that were supposedly taken by the State Police for JFK – one is a portrait in an office setting and 2 are of him with Jackie – in one they are on a sailboat and the other they are sitting on the rear deck of a small yacht. I was wondering if these had any value. They are very crisp and defined black and white photos.

Mike:

There are similar questions I have answered on this blog for others who have JFK photos from an official source as opposed to a personal camera.

For all photos of any president in an official capacity, news source, wire service, government agency, that are intended for use in any official capacity, the value of such photos will depend on content, context, pose, condition, and attribution.

Your photos fall into this official capacity and so their value will be from $20 to $45 retail.

Hope this helps.

• Mike Driscoll says:

Thankyou for your response – I don’t think these were offical photos for public distributiuon – the State Police were guarding him as part of a detail and the story was that these were taken off the cuff and distrubuted to the guys in the photography office.

7. Mark Lee says:

Any idea of the worth…… or where I might sell an original (1963) teletype spool “ticker-tape” (1″ X 2592″)announcing the Assination (shooting) of JFK? It’s an original of the message sent via teletype to all of the media outlets at the time.

Mark:

I guess you’re asking about ticker tape, the smaller version of the teletype where news was first transmitted.

When looking through the Worthopedia to find a recent auction of JFK assassination bulletins, I found plenty of teletype, but no ticker tape. This might suggest rarity in some cases, but, not necessarily in yours.

You see, a collector would find what you have interesting, and even collectible as a variation on a theme, but because it would be harder to see the relevant passages because of its small size and overlong length, it would be harder to display. And displayability also plays a part in determining value.

Teletype print is a good collectible here, because it is relatively easier to read and so is easier to display. I’m sure collectors would prefer this format over the other.

For that reason, I provide a link to the Worthopedia that shows an auction in March 2008 with a collection of assassination teletypes selling for $250.

The value of your ticker tape could very well be about a 1/4 or 1/2 of that, or $65 to $125 but in the JFK market, anything is possible.

Hope this helps.

8. G Mathew Bass says:

I have a Life Magazine from the week after President Kennedy was assassinated. Any idea on what it might be worth?

Mathew:

Even in the best of condition, any magazine reporting on the death of President Kennedy will have a collector’s value of $5 to $10.

The reason? So many were printed that too many are still in circulation. Now, in 100 years, it is possible to get a bit more for it.

Worthologist

9. Hello. I have the original front page of the Daily News from Friday, May 17, 1963. The headline reads, “600,000 Mile Bullseye! Cooper Does It the Hard Way”. The page shows JFK on the telephone speaking to Astronaut Gordon Cooper. I also have a special supplement put in the New York Sunday News, Jan. 5, 1964 with 2 full pages of color photos of the Kennedy family. The title is The Many Faces of a Courageous Lady, The Kennedy Family, Easter 1963. Can you tell me if these are worth anything?

Ann:

So many of us seem to think that the very mention of an historical person in any format automatically has collectible or monetary value. In only a few cases is that actually true, if you measure monetary value more than $10.

In 99.95% of all newspapers ever printed, the value is relatively little and that goes back 300 years. It’s mostly because of content. With little historical content, for example, the newspaper, whether 3 or 300 years old, is basically just paper. If it tells of a secret deal that changed history and there were relatively few produced, then it is in fact historical and monetarily significant.

Your set of articles fits cleanly into the 99.95% of newspaper with relatively little historical or monetary value (although the ads are fun to read). Generally speaking, a newspaper clipping by itself has no collector value.

Antique dealers will like your Kennedy special edition just for fun and will try to get upwards of $10 for it, if it is in good condition. They might even get it. They will offer you $1 for it, though. There are just too many printed and available for them to have any real collector value.

Just enjoy the special edition, give it to the kids, or better yet, if you have to get rid of it, donate it to a charity auction or the local library for their periodic book sales.

The JFK clipping doesn’t need to be saved.

10. pat says:

I have a Kennedy colectors plate like the one in image sevon on this webite and i was wondering what is the value for it

thanks

Pat:

11. Kathy Parisi says:

I was going through some items of my Dads and found what looks like an original 8 X 10 photo of Jfk in his military uniform (up close). My father was from Boston and lived there between 1922 and 1963. If I can prove this was an original photo, would it be worth anything?

12. Janelle says:

I have the Dallas Times Herald Final Edition with all three sections from Friday evening November 22, 1963 that says PRESIDENT DEAD. It has the JFk speech text that he was supposed to deliver to the Dallas Citizens Council, the picture story of a presidential tour across the state of Texas, an article that says Bob Kennedy won’t quit to help JFK, a page that says Assassination, an article that says JFK to get steer gift from University of Texas, plus extras on the autopsy the Birdman of Alcatraz and a Hoffa article on alleged jury-bribing. So it has a lot in there. I’m thinking this edition was developed before he was assassinated because a lot of the articles are on “regular” presidential activities and then the assassination happened and a rush change was made to add to the paper.

I may just keep it b/c it’s in very good condition; there’s just one tear and the color has of course browned over the last almost 50 years. Any idea on how common this paper may be or if it has any value with collectors?

Janelle:

There are a few very collectible newspapers that have a great deal of historical as well as monetary value. The Dallas Times Herald of November 22, 1963 is one of them.

But only the first special edition.

Your edition, the final edition, has a higher value than any other newspaper of the day, but its value is about $50 to $75 in very good or excellent condition. And the newspaper has to be complete, not just the front section as yours seems to be.

The tear and the browning of the front page will affect the final value to about half, but still better than any other paper reporting on the event the next day.

To store the newspaper, wrap the paper itself in acid free paper and inside an acid free box and keep it away from temperature extremes in a dry, dark place. If it is to be framed, use only the first page (with wraparound section intact), attach with acid free material and keep it out of direct sunlight and hang on an inside wall, not one that faces outside. Be sure to keep the rest of the newspaper in an acid free envelope attached to the back of the frame or in a safe storage.

Hope this helps.

• Janelle says:

Thanks Tom for your prompt response and assistance. It is actually the whole paper (all three sections). I’ll take the care needed to preserve it using your recommendations.

Just for my information, what was the difference between the first special edition and the final edition?

13. Ye Juanda Alex says:

I have a news paper clipping the says the last portrait of John F Kennedy. Two and a half hours before assassination. Do you know if it is worth something?

Ye Juanda:

No, as a rule, any newspaper clipping has no collector value. There are only a few examples that I had that had some value such as the announcement of a presidential ticket printed in the early 19th century that included a popular political song. Even then, it had a small value of only about $20.

Hope this helps.

14. Anthony says:

I have 125 negatives of jfk funeral. how much are they worth and who might be interested in purchasing them?

15. Anthony says:

I have 125 original negatives of jfk funeral. How much are they worth and who would be interested in buying them?

Anthony,

Usually I spend a lot of time answering questions about actual photographs. To talk a bit about the negatives is refreshing, but not particularly lucrative – for you.

You might remember a recent story heralding the end of the production of photographic film by Kodak for consumer cameras. It’s a shame, too, as I have problems trying to get copies of photos off of my digital camera. It just means that while a collection of negatives of an historical event such as the JFK funeral(and I am assuming they are the consumer variety, not the professional ones) are unusual, it would cost quite a bit now to have photos made from them.

Now, of course, I haven’t seen any of the negatives to know if there are any closeup views of Jackie and kids, the dignitaries along the parade route, and any unusual camera angles. The number of negatives suggest a lot of photos were taken, but of what?

Without that knowledge, it is hard to gauge any real historic or collectible value for your negatives. If the photos were taken along the parade route by your Aunt Minnie, the value of the whole collection is less than $5 and only to a hobbyist who might be able to extract an unusual image.

If the photos were taken by a professional photographer with access to all of the behind the scenes activity, then the historic value increases significantly to perhaps ten dollars for each negative.

So, with that in mind, take Aunt Minnie’s negatives and give them to a nonprofit school, library, or food bank auction to help raise money (some hobbyist will want them for their curiosity factor). If they are professional, you have a better chance of selling the lot for much more at more established auctions.

Hope this helps.

• Anthony says:

Tom,

Thank you for your initial response. I obviously left out important eough details to allow you to answer me properly. The photo negatives are from a professional photographer and are of impressive quality. The subjects (Jackie, JFK Jr., Caroline, Ted, RFK, LBJ, President and Mrs. Nixon) are taken from different angles and from varying distances. There are some incredible shots that may never have been seen before. Assuming that they are the best possible photo negatives of this event, how much could they be worth and who would be likely to be interested in them?

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Anthony, thanks for the clarification, although it actually doesn’t change my initial evaluation.

When you say they are the “..best possible photo negatives of this event..” I still don’t know what that means.

I’m not trying to be difficult. What is significant to one collector is less so to another. You may have read recently that a series of Marilyn Monroe photos came on the market from a photo shoot before she was famous. At one time, those photos had little value, now they are worthy of their own auction.

Yet, your evaluation is based on negatives, not photos, which is trickier. Are there any negatives that show an historic event in a new light like the photos of Marilyn? Without going through them, its hard to say.

So, what to do? Consider contacting collectors of presidential memorabilia or JFK collectors and ask them for advice. Simply check online and you’ll get a list to start. They’ll want to check out the negatives themselves or better yet, you might want to consider getting a photo of each negative made to make the job of analyzing their value easier.

There are many things to look for to determine value. When evaluating a flag, for instance, it isn’t enough to ask what the value of a 48 star flag is. There are variables to consider such as star pattern, material, wear and tear, place of manufacture and others. The difference is between $25 and $125.

In short, the value of your negatives could be the difference between $2 each and $95 each, more or less, depending on what the photo reveals.

16. tema says:

we have pictures of jfks funeral. they are with the kids and jackie . and of them carring out the casket. my brother was in the navy and photographed the funeral the pitures are upclose he was practlly standing next to the family

Tema:

I apologize for not following up on your question. Somehow it slipped by me.

You have a question similar to the one asked by Anthony here. Review my evaluation and if there are any additional questions, please let me know.

Thanks for visiting WorthPoint.

17. Cory L. says:

I have 13 old dallas times herald papers covering all of jfk’s assasination and all the info printed in the dallas times herald on oswald … And even the 10 year anniversary paper. My father worked at the dallas times herald at the time and took them straight off the press. They arent in great shape but could be a lot worse. Any idea of the value of a lot such as this?

Cory:

You can read all my earlier comments regarding JFK newspapers as collectibles and realize that you have some very special editions – until you mentioned that they’re not in great shape.

In most collectibles, condition matters most (flags, for example, list condition around fifth). Newspapers, particularly historic ones, must be complete (not just the front pages or first section) and be in just-issued virtually uncirculated condition. Without that, your newspapers will have a slightly higher value than others of the same day, but not by much.

All of the newspapers printed after Nov 22, 1963 have no other instrinsic value than any other newspaper of the day, less than $3 each complete. The Nov 22 edition, hopefully, the first edition telling about the assassination is worth considerably more, but not in fair condition, about $20 to $35.

Hope this helps.

18. Curtis Hines says:

I have an old snapshot photo of JFK riding in Lincoln Continental in a parade-type setting with the Governor of Florida. This was my now deceased Aunt prized photo. Is this worth anything?

Curtis:

In order for a photo such as that one to have tremendous collector value, it must be of some significant historical event. Just riding in a car with the governor of Florida doesn’t quite go the historic route.

Still, the right JFK collector could pay up to $10 to $25 if it is particularly unique to their collection. The question, where to find that JFK collector? That is the question.

But, Curtis, there is also something to be said for sentimental value, too. If it was a favorite of your aunt, perhaps it can be a favorite to you, too, for that reason alone.

Hope this helps

19. John Zagar says:

While cleaning and going thru old stuff, I re-found something I thought I had lost… it is an Ampex 632 reel tape recording of the JFK funeral service and I was wondering what, if any, value there may be to it.

Thanks, John

John:

I’m glad you found the tape, too. Ampex 632 reel-to-reel tape, interestingly enough, is still available here and there. I understand it to be more of a professional grade of video recording tape and so that makes your find more interesting than the traditional 8mm type.

But have you been able to see it? If the video portion is only of the funeral as it winds its way down Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C., for example, from a sidewalk position, then its merely sentimental. It the video portion shows closeups of the family, President Johnson, or preparations along the way, than it is of historical nature. What is being recorded will determine its overall value.

So, until it is viewed completely, the value, to me, is a generic video recording of an event, with some meaning to be sure, with a value of about $10 to $20. On the other hand, with more of an insight into the event itself, the value could be more.

20. Sylvia says:

President JF Kennedy visited Ottawa Canada in 1961.
    My dad was military and was either the chauffer who drove the car or the soldier in uniform as part of the parade….my father received, so he told me long ago, a thank you from JFK. So on this business card sized stock in the right hand corner is the print THE WHITE HOUSE WASHINGTON, on the bottom right in smaller font it reads PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and hand written is two letters I can’t make out, “best wishes” and then John F. Kennedy.

would this have any value? Do you know someone in Ottawa Canada I could take this to, to verify whether or not its an actual JFK signature and or one signed by an assistant. My dad has been passed since 1971, so no way to find out more info. Thank you for your time.

21. Amy says:

Hi, i have several photos my grandfather took of jfk at his inaguration and pictures with the vice president (when he was still a senator.) how much would these be worth?

22. Bud Healer says:

Have a 3.5 X 5 photo I took at about 8′ of JFK in 1962 at his speach on the campus of Stanford University in Calif. Any value?

Bud:

It depends. There are photo archives that will be photos and their negatives for use in commercial applications. Yours might be a good candidate for that. I don’t suspect you’d get much for it (I don’t know that type of business very well), but it can’t be much.

It depends on the image itself and whether it is readily reproducable. Not having seen your image, I can’t say for sure.

Hope this helps.

23. cheryl says:

we have a set of john and jacqueline kennedy collectible spoons and was wondering the value. they are made from klepa arts holland. i have perused the collectible sites and have not seen any like these.

24. Margaret McCrae says:

Hello,

I have recently been cleaning out an old barn on an 1830′s plantation in South Carolina. The property was donated to a non-profit and I am trying to raise funds to save it anyway that I can. Today I came across a stack of 1960′s Kennedy campaign brochures and am wondering if they are worth anything. Some are damaged but those that were in the middle of the stack appear to be in fantastic shape aside from the expected dusty aroma, ha-ha. Due to its “hiding place” of the last 51 years, I found it an especially interesting and somewhat ironic find, as the focus is on race relations and Kennedy is pictured with an African leader and an African American on the cover. It reads ” A Time for Moral Leadership” on the front. Any insight you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

25. Jeff Evins says:

I have a Time Magazine January 5 1962 JFK Man of the Year issue in great condition. Was wanting to know the value of it. Thanks.

26. Maxinebr says:

I have an 16X20 picture with a light at the top is this worth anything

27. Tammy Huynh says:

Hello,

I recently found a stack of newspapers from of articles from the date after JFK’s death. I was wondering how much they are worth and how do i go about selling these?

28. Karen says:

I have a book called the Torch is passed that starts with the day JFK died ending on the day President Jonhson addresses a joint session of congress. Also a recorded album called President Kennedy his wit and humor.

Karen:

The book and LP recording are quite common commemorative items and are usually sold second hand for $2 to $10 or so for the LP. Some antique and collectible dealers try to get more for them because of the JFK association, but they are so widely available that supply will never be a problem.

Hope this helps.

29. courtney says:

I have an original photo of JFK and his wife in the limo minutes before he was shot. The photo is in color. Just would like to know it’ value I think my mom in considering donating it to the JFK museum.

30. I have an autographed picture of President Kennedy and another photo of him with his family. The envelope addressed to me was posted marked Washington, DC Nov. 22, 1963. Is it worth anything?

31. Shannon says:

Hi! I recently dug through my Grandmother’s old cedar chest and found a stack of newspapers with the headlines starting with the assassination of JFK. I also have a few more from when Johnson was sworn in and just a few from while he was acting president. So I was just wondering if these have any value what so ever. I do not plan on selling them any time soon just curious, I guess.

32. Sandy Dempsey says:

Hello,
    I have a letter written to my deceased husband as a child on White House stationary and signed by Evelyn Wood on behalf of JFK. The letter and envelope were dated and postmarked on Nov, 22, 1963.
    Is there any value to a collector?
    There are also several letters from Richard Nixon during his presidency, but only one has his handwritten signature. Any value there? Just curious…thank you for your response.

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

It is only a curious coincidence that a letter sent out by the White House was dated and postmarked on the same day as the assassination. There would be considerably more historical value if it alluded to anything happening in Dallas that day. As it happens, the letter should remain as part of your family history since it is only considered what we call ephemera, or having relatively little collectible value, less than $5.

That may also be true of the Nixon letters. Unless the signed letter has policy implications or has the language that is personalized beyond that of a form letter, we can assume that it is more along the lines of ephemera as well.

Hope this helps.

703 863 5971

33. jeanne says:

hello, we have a thankyou card from jackie kennedy that was received after jfk’s death. in 1963 our 6th grade class sent sympathy cards to the white house. we have a printed thankyou card, and a hand written envelope with my address, and jackies signature is where the stamp should be- would this have any collector value?

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Having volunteered in the White House correspondence section in the early ’90s, I’m aware just how many pieces of correspondence a president receives every day. To make sure everyone is answered in one way or another at times a printed card is sent with a printed signature.

That is certainly the case when a president dies. So many letters of condolences are received that a card is printed and sent to everyone who sends in a letter. You have one of those cards. And there are thousands more.

Still, the value of a JFK condolence card has additional value because of its association with Jackie and the JFK assassination. It’s nice that you have the original envelope, but it was filled out by a volunteer like I was. It was sent over Jackie’s signature instead of postage because in 1958, the law allowed the widows of presidents to use franked mail (the signature) instead of a stamp. They still do.

If you can keep the envelope and the card together, the value isn’t particularly high, between $15 and $30 to a collector. It might be better to just keep it as a family heirloom, a part of your family’s history.

34. Brian says:

My boss found an invitation to president Kennedy’s funeral. Any idea what that may be worth ?

35. Chris Hartman says:

I have a picture of John f Kennedy with Jackie on a balcony at the White House with the monument in the background. It is signed by JFK. I saw one similar that sold at auction for $6,000 and wanted to know how to go about selling it if it worth a similar amount.

36. Rich says:

Tom: My PT 109 pin comment was cut short. I wanted to add. I saw JFK in Columbus, Ohio back in early 60′s. What he was striving for would have saved a mounumental amount of human misery and tragedy. Many families would have enjoyed their grandchildren while getting to watch their children grow up if Kennedy had been permitted to live. He was trying to give our country back to us. Trying to stop war. Uniting the world, bringing people together in manyways, and the war mongers of this world despised him for it. Now we have all this, thanks to a famous family who will never equal or come near his legacy. There has niot been a day go by in my entire life, I have not thought of JFK in some way. Anyway, I asked you about that PT 109 pin if you can respond. I’ll keep watching. Thanks for your time.

37. Debbie Mcgee says:

hello my name is Debbie my father was a chauffeur under presidents Kennedy Johnson and Nixon i have signed pictures that was given to my father some are personal items to him do you know what they might be worth??

38. Josh B. says:

I have a hand typed “President’s Engagements” schedule dated October 4th 1963. It doesnt appear to be the carbon copy and it does have the presidential seal water mark. The subject matter is also interesting, President Kennedy met with Texas Governor John Connally that day, likely discussing his fateful trip to Texas in November. This was part of the Robert L White collection. Any idea what it would be worth?

Thanks!

39. Karen says:

I have found about 20 magazines ranging from Look, Like, McCalls, Journal, Sat Evening Post, Redbook, Good housekeeping, Modern Screen, and Photoplay all having the covers about JFK. They are about the family, family photos, the assisination, and life afterwards. All are 1963 – 1964 and in very good condition, nothing ripped on them. Is there anywhere other than ebay to sell them…or better yet to find what they are worth?

Karen nofunjohn@windstream.net

40. Nathan says:

I have an old Life Magazine with President John F. Kennedy on the cover it is dated November 29th 1963. The magazine is in a loose plastic cover but seems to me to be in great condition (not mint). I was wondering what the value might be?

Nathan

41. Frank Bogu says:

I have a photo of JFK taken while he was in the motorcade right before he was shot. Is there any value of this photo?

Frank:

There are many individual photos that have come from along the parade route over time. To be sure yours has any particular value to collectors it would help to get an image of the photo to be sure.

But, mostly an individual photo of JFK in the motorcade has a value to collector of between $10 and $25, of course depending on the image and clarity.

Worthlogist

42. I too have a signed photo of JFK and Jackie standing on balcony of white house with the washington monument in background.I know a little history about the picture in that The president of the local bank met JFK and asked him to sign it and he did with a personal message. What is the value if any?

Deanna:

It appears that the banker must have taken up a membership in a Democratic Party fundraising presidential committee for JFK or party fundraising council. In return this photo was sent by the White House to all its members.

The photo is indeed a White House photo but since it was sent to “…a fellow sustaining member…”, it is intended to be mass produced and sent to all the thousands who also joined the committee.

The written sentiment and signature are printed, not actually signed with a value of about $15 to $25 to a private collector.

43. Angela says:

I was wondering how much a stamp of John F kennedy would be worth if come from another country? I have one that was made in Correias de Brasil. it was a stamp made in his memory as well. it also has 100.00 on the stamp,so I am not sure how many was made and what year.

Angela:

I consulted with a prominent stamp dealer here in Washington, DC and he isn’t aware of any JFK commemorative stamp in any country that has a value of more than 15 or 25 cents, certainly less than a dollar even if it is a limited edition.

It’s just that the nature of stamps, unless its a really limited edition, is that at least thousands need to be reproduced to cover the cost and so there leaves quite a few on the market. More stamps = less collectible.

44. Alana V. says:

I have a bust of Spock’s head that appears to be a liquor decanter of some sort. Its colour in grey. I was wondering if you could give me an appraisal of its value. I bought it many years ago on a trip to Reno with my husband and his parents for $ 10.00. By the way I have its original container box too. Thankyou Respectfully Alana V.

45. Nikki Brod says:

I found a envelope from the white house stamped Sept of 62 and inside there was a embossed paper honoring a relative that passed JFK is the president that singed it. So would that be a stamp or real. How do I find this out? And what would the worth be?

Nikki:

What you have is a memorial certificate issued by the White House whenever a US soldier is killed in action. It is awarded to the family for grateful service to the nation.

The certificate you have features a printed (not handwritten) signature of John F. Kennedy with a typed name of the family member just below the gold embossed Great Seal of the United States.

Frankly, this would have more of a sentimental value to the family than a large monetary one. Collectors don’t routinely collect this type of memorabilia, but would sell one if they happen across one for about $10 to $20.

46. Josh says:

Can you tell me the approx value of a thank you letter on JFK senate letterhead with an auto pen JFK signature? Dated Jan 5th 1961, it is a thank you for a letter relieved regarding his election win.

Thank you!

Josh:

If it is indeed an autopen signature, which is definitely more likely than not with JFK, the value of the letter falls under a category called ephemera.

With other similar autopenned letters from other presidents, it would have a value of between $10 to $20. However, with JFK, the value would be just a bit more, say $20 to $35, depending on content.

47. Brooke says:

Hi,

I have the door off of John F. Kennedy’s house that was in Georgetown I believe. My Dad had remodeled some things in the house for the new owner, and saved some of the things he removed from the house that had documentation that it was there during the time Kennedy lived there. I have papers that prove it. How much would this be worth and who would I contact about it?

48. Cheryll Thompson-Smith says:

My husband has six 2×3 black and white photographs or President John F. Kennedy taken in Cincinnati, OH in 1962 according to the information on the back. The photographs were taken by William F. Pflanz of Redding, OH, who appears to be the photographer. They look to be originals, are good condition, and I have never seen them before anywhere else. Do you have any idea what they might be worth.

Cheryll:

I’m sure there are so may unpublished photos of JFK that seem to make it out of storage that are ‘discovered’ now and again. The question is whether the photos are of some event that collectors find worthwhile. Generally, the answer is probably not.

While JFK photos are always collectible to a certain degree, it is the nature of the photograph that determines its final value. The fact that yours is from a photographer who has date stamped them somehow does provide a certain higher value than others without a date stamp, what exactly is being photographed and where is the main question.

Without actually seeing the photos, I’m guessing that your photos are just routine shots of JFK at some event. For that, original photos have a general collector value of $10 to $35, depending on the circumstances of the photo itself.

49. rommel says:

I have an original black and white photo of the late president john f kennedy, opposite his parents joe and ethel kennedy, four inches by five inches , green portifolio, from portraites of amarillo, and on the reverse the catholic rosary, dedicated to mr , kennedy , how much could this be of value.?

50. Mateo Micic says:

I have a typewriter owned by JFK with his initials as keys and was wondering it worth?