Home > News, Articles & Multimedia > Blog Entry > Errors in the State Quarters are Worth Lots of Money

Errors in the State Quarters are Worth Lots of Money

by Will Seippel (03/23/08).
2003 Waffled Missouri State Quarter that Escaped Mint Destruction
2004 Florida State Error Quarter on 5 Cent Planchet
Arkansas State Error Quarter on Nickel Planchet
2000 Virginia State Error Quarter Missing Reverse Clad
1999 Connecticut State Quarter Error 35% struck Off Center
Virginia State Error Quarter 2000 Double Clipped 11%
Maryland 2000 State Error Quarter on Nickle Planchet
2000 Maryland error Quarter 15% Clipped
South Carolina Quarter Missing Reverse Clad
Tennessee Quarter on a Nickel Planchet

I have always liked coin collecting. When I was a kid, there was not a lot to do in the tiny town I grew up in. I think there were 100 people in town, when everyone was home on Sunday. One of the things we would do, is get our parents to take us to the neighboring town, where there was a bank, to get rolls of coins from the tellers, to search through. My favorites were the dimes, where it was quick and easy to pull out the Mercury dimes, from the Roosevelts and refill the rolls and go back and get new rolls.

Today, coin collecting, in the United States, has been revived by the US Mint issuing the state quarters. We are almost through the 50 state quarters, and the US government relizes they have a good thing going with coin collectors. I have seen 1 statistic where there are now 140 million collectors of these things. That includes me, I have made a set for all 5 of my children, including the silver ones.

I noticed bacck in 1999, an error in the Delaware quarter, that was sitting on the desk, in my office. I could not figure out at first, what was the matter with the coin, until I noticed after several days that the “e” was missing off of the words “The First Stat”e””. That was to be the first of many errors the Mint was to make on these coins. The Delaware error is common, and was caused by grease. It is worth about $20.

I am collecting a set of error quarters, for myself, as a different project, to complement the sets I made for my kids. I am not worrying about Mint marks,and such. I am just trying to get a good error coin for each State. The Mint does a pretty good job on quality, so these coins are difficult to find in change, but they are out there. I have included pictures of some of my favorites. These include; a Maryland, Tennessee, Arkansas and Florida struck on a 5 cent planchet; Maryland and Virginia with clips from the coins; South Carolina and Virginia with a missing layer of “silver” from the reverse; Conneticut that was mistruck, and my favorite, Missouri, that the Mint caught the error and then cancelled the coin by waffling it. Somehow, the coin then escaped from the Mint and made it out into circulation, where I saved it from destruction.

No one knows how many of these errors the mint makes, or, how many coins escape from the waffle machine. They are scarce, and you should be on the look out for these and other error coins. The payoff can be high. The ones I pictured are worth up to $5,000. Not a bad deal if you are getting change back for a dollar. The lucky finder can then start their own collection or,with a membership, will soon be able to sell it to collectors on WorthPoint, or through one of our auction house partners.

Good hunting! I will continue to show, in future blogs, other error coins from the US Mint.

143 Responses to “Errors in the State Quarters are Worth Lots of Money”

1. dennis johnson says:

i found a rare coin..get this a delaware quarter, looks to be all silver no cooper..and its a philly or a p..my dad said they don`t make the silver ones in philly..it sure does look silver..let me know what you think..i`m going to take it to a store to see if its all silver..email me at jj3742@comcast.net..i may want to sell it..

2. Rodney w. garrett says:

I have a quater I found about 5 or 6 years ago while I was at work it was the New Jersey coin and it just came out the lady had just opened the the roll and gave me my change well I noticed it on the back side that it had a smuge on it an the R was gone it said dolla so I put it my coin holdr so it couldnt be touched. I cant find no one with this error if it is another out I would like to know because the fewer found the better. let me know if you have seen or heard of this error or not.

• Cathy says:

I have a New Jersey State Quarter with the ‘R’ missing from Roads. Is it worth anything?

• Fran says:

I also have a New Jersey quarter missing the “r” in crossroads. I have another one that is missing both the second “s” and the “r” in crossroads. This one has visible grease smudges on it as well.

3. al says:

The type of error you describe is normally caused by “debris” caught between the die and the coin planchet (or flan). The result is that the die is unable to make a complete impression and appears smudged in that area. The normal debris is grease used in the manufacturing process. Such errors are not particularly rare. As might be expected, the location and size of the smudge can vary, and thus the impact on the coin. Relatively speaking, a missing R is not overly dramatic. Without seeing the item, (or a great picture), evaluations are speculative. Condition also will have an impact. Normally errors of this type sell for under $25.

4. Brent says:

I have come into possession of a wyoming state quarter. It is in very good condition, however the horse and rider are inprinted, but with no detail. Is this quarter worth more then face value?

5. Vonita Brown says:

I have a quarter that was a mint mistake on it from Wisconsin (1884) State Quarter with the cow the cheese and the corn with a left leaf it looks like. is this coin worth more than face value if so,.How much is it worth.I would like to sell it can someone get back to me on this.

6. anthony says:

I found a new hampshire quarter it seems to be frosted and the state stamp code is not D for Denver put stamped with a P. What dose this mean..?

7. Jim McNeil says:

Hello, I have come across an interesting example of a Delaware State Quarter with a headless Paul Revere. Has anyone heard of such an error? I am very curious to know if others are out there. Thanks

8. al says:

This error or flaw is caused by the same “problem’ noted in a previous query regarding a missing “R” – usually by “debris” caught between the die and the coin planchet (or flan). The result is that the die is unable to make a complete impression and appears smudged in that area. As indicated above, the location and size of the smudge can vary, and thus the impact on the coin. The missing head makes this a slighly more interesting flaw. Without seeing the item, (or a great picture), evaluations are speculative. Condition also will have an impact. Pricing guidelines would also place it under $25.

9. Victoria says:

My son brought home a 2003 Illinois State quarter. At first glance it looks normal until you hold it – and flip it over. The quarter is only half as thick as it should be and when
    you flip it over there is nothing on the obverse side. It smooth, copper colored with few pit marks here and there. If it’s a fake or trick coin or an error, I can’t find any information about it. Do you have any clue why this coin would look this way?

10. al says:

Quarters are composed of a “sandwich” of metals with copper nickel on the top and bottom and copper in the middle. Not seeing the coin, it would seem that you have a quarter that was “sliced in two” and you have one half of the result.

11. Mike says:

Hello sir. I have a Tenn quarter with the “tails” side hardly there. It is a smooth surface with he exception of a rough outline of what is supposed to be there. Any help would be great! Thanks.

12. steve says:

I have a Florida silver state quarter with doubling on the letters of the coin. Any idea of the value on this coin?

13. Sarah says:

I have just come across and Virginia state Quarter that is about 10% cut off center. Is it worth anything?

14. Helen Kruse says:

I have a 2001 Vermont State quarter missing half it’s clad. I’d like to find out if anyone knows what it might be worth.You can email me at hkruse@bellsouth.net Thank you.

15. danny says:

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT. I GOT SOME CHANGE TODAY. IT’S A CONNECTICUT STATE QUARTER…BUT IT’S THE SIZE OF A NICKEL AND IS VERY LIGHT…SOUNDS LIKE A PENNY WHEN IT HITS THE COUNTER TOP. THE COIN IS PRETTY WORN DOWN. PLEASE EMAIL ME AT DANNY95725@YAHOO.COM IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS. THANKS!!!

16. Rose says:

Does anyone know about the extra leaf cactus for AZ, is it worth anything?
    Please email me if you do, I don’t know much about coin collecting but can see how addictive of a hobby this can be!
    Thanks for any info.

• LARRY says:

Hi, I found a i think 2002 Tenn Quarter with no copper in it at all and i took in to Candi Coins and let the owner Larry, Look at it he put it on a ditatal Scale and weighed it along with 16 other Same Quarters and it waighed less then all the ones he put on the scale. He been in the coin shop for over 40 years and never seen one like this, Has anyone know about this coin. Thanks Larry,,,,,,,,,

17. Patrice says:

I found what appears to be a San Francisco mint West Virgina “silver” state quarter. There is no visible copper on the sides of it. I cannot seem to find any information on this quarter. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Cory says:

@Patrice
      The silver proof coins were minted in San Fransisco, and contain 90% silver. If your quarter has an S for the mint mark and no copper on the edges, it should be a silver coin. It should weigh slightly more than a regular quarter (6.3g, as opposed to 5.7g), and make a distinctly different sound when dropped onto a hard surface. Don’t do the drop test unless the coin has already been circulated, or you may damage it and reduce the numismatic value.

18. Sadie says:

I found a 2002 Indiana quarter in my drawer after going through to try to find if I have all the states, I found that it said diana. Its missing the I and the N. Is it worth anything?

19. Geno says:

Hello. I just bought a quarter off e-bay for $3.00. It is the 2000 Virginia quarter, the 1 is missing from the 1607-2000 date that is imprinted on the quarter. Rather it looks like ” 607-2000 ” (without the quotations of course). Could it be worth anything?

20. mike says:

hello I have a Vermont state quarter miss struck. almost missing is the united state of america about 1/8 inch miss struck it look funny got it with some change. What are we looking at in price. I got offered 200.00 for it should I take it or wait for a better offer? 2001 P Vermont

21. Steve says:

I have a 2006 North Dakota State Quarter missing the clad layer on the back side. I had three in my posession until i put two in a vending machine when i realized they did not sound just right. I kept the last one and took it to a dealer who did not have an interest in it. He put it in a sleeve for me. The exposed copper is no longer shiny. I know there was a whole roll of them. When I was at the cashier getting my change she broke open a roll and dumped them in the register. Any idea what its worth and to who?

22. Chris says:

I have a washington quarter the size of a nickel,mint mark and date are not available due to the edge being roled in. I can not find anything online to compare it to cause it is a quarter on a quarter planchet.Is this rare or is there a name for this error??

23. Donna says:

I found a misstamped Denver mint Tennessee state quarter. The hair of George Washington has extra metal dropped on the head. You can see the hair was stamped on the extra metal. The back side of this same coin is uneven as well. Is it worth any money?

24. frennchy says:

I HAVE A MARYLAND QUARTER WITH AN OFF SET CUD ON EACH SIDE, WORTH ANYTHING?

25. lee christensen says:

I have a 2000 vermont quarter that looks gold did they make gold quarters for the state coins?

26. janet says:

my neighbor just found sgate quarter. Colorado one side penslavania the other rare?

27. elkay says:

I have a 2000 Maryland D State Quarter, with the reverse side copper clad. Can’t seem to find any information about it. Does anyone know if it’s worth anything?

28. Gabi says:

I have a wisconsin quarter that seems to not have any copper at all, it has a P for the mint i havent found any other errors on it yet. but i was just curious about it. i have read that most of the silver state quarters have a S. so i dont know. is there any thing that you can tell me about it. its also heavier and sounds like it is silver.

29. mac says:

this quarter that i found in my attic on each side it has one george washington head on both sides is it worth money email me at btimm5@new.rr.com thank you! i might sell it but i dont no if i will im going to keep looking

30. karen says:

I have a State quarter than has George Washington on both sides instead of on one side. They usually have something different on the back side. It looks normal until you turn it over,then you have George Washington on the back side also. Is it worth more than face value?

31. clfree says:

South Dakota with face side copper is this coin a real find or just a find thanks

32. Liam says:

I have a quarter, Alabama state, with a silver head and a Brown copper- coloured tail. Could somebody tell me if it has value? Thanks.

33. Dennis Michigan says:

I found a error state quarter South Carolina both clad layers are missing.My wife works in a bank and she found this.I took this to a coin dealer and he said looks real and weight was right,he didn’t know what it would be worth.I am thinking of sending this out to be graded should i do this?I have not heard of any other of these

34. julia says:

I have come accross a 2002 TN quarter that has a balooned area on both sides (different locations) of the quarter. The balloon on one side doesn’t effect the reverse side. It’s about at 2 o’clock if looking at each side. I like to collect currencies but don’t know much about the errors.

35. Guy Richey says:

I have Americas changing washington quarter set in cased now it has 4 quarters pennsylvania 1787-1999
    delaware 1787-1999
    bicentennial 1776-1976
    washington 1998
    if u noticed del and penn same date hmmm error this worth money?
    Guy R

• Phil Millard says:

The dates 1787-1999 appear on three of the quarters issued in 1999: Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The date 1787 refers to the date that these states ratified the U.S. Constitution, it is not an error.

36. Michael Baker says:

I just came across a 2000 New Hampshire State quarter that has no silvering (is copper colored) on the back side, but does have it on the front… has anyone come across this before and does this make it a rare coin? The lady that gave it to me as change said that the whole role was like the one she gave me, and it appears to be in mint condition.

37. nathan says:

i have been given a quater dollar by mistake and it has a eagle looking to the right withIDAHO ON top but on the other side there is a upside down liberty head and in small print on the side it has “in god we trust”is this worth any thing i dont know because i am welsh(british)

38. JC says:

I have 2 quarters that are missing the small stamp thats across from the “in god we trust”…like the other side of the head, a 1979 and a 1965 im not sure what they are worth yet.

39. Lewis says:

I recently found a quarter with washingto face on both sides. I don`t know it`s a real error?

• Al says:

From a manufacturing standpoint, the only way i believe this could happen is for a coin to be passed through the striking process twice and the second time, the coin was reversed. In that case, some portion of the reverse image would be seen on boht sides o fte coin.

It is more likely to be a “magician” coin – one that was made up of two coins, sliced and the two heads joined together.

40. devon says:

I have a 1999 connecticut quarter and the tree or the head is upside down im not sure if this is how they where made?

41. devon says:

I have a 1999 connecticut quarter and the head or the tree is upside down im not to sure if this is the way they where made?

42. I have a 2006 quarter missing the clad layers or appears to be missing the silver coating, or copperish look in color on backside. If you have any knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Al says:

As stated above, a sandwich process is used for the metal planchet in our quarters (as well as dimes and halves). It consists of a center layer of copper with a copper nickel layer on each side. There are instances where one of the copper nickel layers is missing from one side of the planchet and the center copper core is exposed on the one side. These are relatively rare and would be thinner than a normal quarter. If yours is one of these it would have value, based on condition (e.g. new or circulated)

43. Michele Greensky says:

I found a Colorado quarter and the United is barely visible. Is this a good find?

44. I found a silver 2002 Indiana state quarter. There is no copper in it. Is this an error or was it made this way on purpose?

• Al says:

They did make special silver quarters, but these were proofs and packaged. It is possible that a set was opened and the quarters circulated

• Is it worth keeping and letting an expert, visualize, and then give his opinion, or not worth the trouble?

• al says:

Pat,

If it is a circulated proof, it has a value of a few dollars. At today’s silver value, it has silever value of about 14 times face ($3.50).

if you have a local coin dealer in your area, you could ask them, as it does not appear to be worth the effort to send it somewhere for verification.

45. Rob Spevak says:

I have a Pennsylvania Quarter and its off centered? Are they rare and if so are they worth anything?

• al says:

the value is based on how much off centered it is and the overall condition of the coin. It has value, and these factors will help determine if it is just a few dollars or perhaps a hundred or so.

If it has multiple strikes and one of these is off centered, the value would be greater.

46. Brys says:

I found a 2003 Arkansas quarter D that appears to be made of silver and the raised parts on the back of te quarter seem to be gold. Ever heard of it. Is it real?

47. LeAnne says:

I just got change back from a mcdonalds and i noticed that my states quarter didnt have and actual state on it. On the back was the Northern Mariana Islands and i was just wondering if anyone knew if this was worth anything or if it was just a counterfiet coin?

• Will says:

The US mint has become a savvy marketer. Like all good marketers, when a good thing happens with their product, it is hard to stop. The State quarters were a huge success by anyone’s imagination, so when the series ended the mint was hard pressed as to what to do for an encore. (No one can deny that the State quarters reintroduced coin collecting to millions including my 80+ year old mom.) Thus the mint decided to extend the quarter series for the US territories. The Mariana Islands reverses, that you discovered, are one of those quarters. The others include the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands and America Somoa. For those of us that are purest, this was an inconvienience as there is not room in our coin book, as this was never contemplated when the quarter series came out. On the other hand it has extended the fun for many.

48. I have in my possession a 2004 Iowa state quarter that has no copper and the strip on the house is not shiny

• Al says:

Susan,
      If the quarter has no copper layer, it is likely either a silver proof that was circulated (note these were only made at the San Francisco mint and would have an “S” mint mark), or the quarter was stamped on a nickel planchet. The nickel planchet is smaller than a quarter so if this were the case, the edge/rim should be incomplete.

• amber jenkins says:

ok i have the same thing here with a D mint mark…. so that would mean it did not just happen in san francisco….. but obviously it is rare ….. anyone have any further info on it

49. isaac says:

i have a maryland quarter and it says

in god w trus

it is missing an e and t
    is it worth anything???

• al says:

As stated above, missing parts of the design are normally the result of a foreign substance such as grease that has ended up on the die and “filled in” the depression that would make the design. This can occur at any part of the design. It is not considered a major error, but can have a small premium value, depending on the impact of the missing design. This one would seem to have a minor design impact.

50. Debra says:

I found a Arkansas Quarter and its bigger than others quarters
    It also says Head Quarters on the front below the head.
    Is there any value to it?

• al says:

Sounds like a counterfeit or at least a private “copy” and not a Mint issued item

• Debra says:

thank you for your input but what makes you think ist counterfeit it looks just like a quarter is it the size that makes you think its fake?
        deb

• Debra says:

oh my god that quarter I found that is an Arkansas state quarter with head quarters on the front. I turned it over to look at it better and behind the tree a man is laying down and a woman is bent over and as Clinton said :they are not having sex O M G and it says birth place of Clinton haaaaaaaaa funny