Griswold Manufacturing was founded in the mid-1860s by Matthew Griswold and John and Samuel Selden. Originally the Selden & Griswold Manufacturing Co., Griswold bought out the Selden family interests in 1884. Since then the company has changed hands several times, including being bought by its major competitor, Wagner Manufacturing Co., in 1957. In August 1969, the General Housewares Corp. acquired all rights to Griswold and Wagner.
References: John B. Haussler, “Griswold Muffin Pans,” Schiffer Publishing, 1997; David G. Smith and Charles Wafford, “The Book of Griswold & Wagner: Favorite Piqua, Sidney Hollow Ware, Wapak,” Schiffer Publishing, 1995; “Griswold Cast Iron, Vol. 1″ (1993, 1997 value update), Vol 2. (1995, 1998 value update), L-W Book Sales.
by Harry L. Rinker
“Official Price Guide to Collectibles”
Comments are closed.