Haeger Potteries was founded by David H. Haeger in Dundee, Ill. in 1871. The first Haeger Art Pottery was produced in 1914. In 1938, Royal Arden Hickman joined the firm and introduced the Royal Haeger line. The following year the Buckeye Pottery Building in Macomb was purchased for the production of florist trade items. That year also saw the formation of the Royal Haeger Lamp Co.
Many Haeger pieces can be identified by molded model numbers. The first Royal Haeger item was assigned the number R01, with subsequent numbers ascending in chronological order.
Numbers found on giftware from the Studio Haeger line, designed by Helen Conover in 1947–48, are preceded by the letter “S.” The Royal Garden Flower-ware line, produced from 1954 until 1963, is numbered RG-1 through RG-198, with the lowest numbers found on the earliest examples.
References: David D. Dilley, “Haeger Potteries,” L-W Book Sales, 1997; Joe and Joyce Paradis, “The House of Haeger: 1914–1944,” Schiffer Publishing, 1999.
by Harry L. Rinker
“Official Price Guide to Collectibles”
Comments are closed.