Home > News, Articles & Multimedia > Blog Entry > Presidential Glassware

Presidential Glassware

by Tom Carrier (01/19/08).
U.S. Secret Service cobalt coffee mug
U.S. Secret Service glass covered candy dish
U.S. Secret Service glass tumbler
Richard Nixon Army One tumbler
Gerald Ford Army One glass tumbler
HMX-1 smoked glass tumbler, c. 2002, closeup
HMX-1 smoked glass tumbler, c. 2002, reverse
HMX-1 smoked glass tumbler, c. 2002
Aboard Army One candy dish, Richard Nixon c. 1970s

Some of my favorite presidential items to collect are the glassware to include the mugs, tumblers, plates, dishes, wine glasses, and tumblers.

They don’t all have to be historic pieces like the Air Force One tumbler from John F. Kennedy. Instead, the U.S. Secret Service sells coffee mugs and glassware to benefit the families of agents who are wounded or killed in action. The clear glass tumbler or wine glass features an engraved full seal of the president while the cobalt coffee mug has a full presidential seal cut in white. I particularly like the covered candy canister for every day items. Visit the White House Gift Shop at http://www.whitehousegiftshop.com for all their items. The use of the seal of the president is authorized by the White House Counsel and so is considered official items.

Air Force One, Army One, and Marine One all have issued these smoked green glass candy dishes featuring the gold and blue full seal of the president with the president’s signature printed in gold. They come in a green felt bag in its own gold presentation box. The one featured is from Army One during the Nixon Administration, c. 1970s.

For historic items, one of my favorites is the smoked glass tumbler featuring a gold and blue full seal of the presidentwith the words ‘Aboard Air Force One’in gold with the signature of John F. Kennedy in gold also. Very scarce.

Several clear glass tumblers were issued for Army One, the presidential helicopter, when it was jointly managed by the Army and the Marine Corps until about 1975 when it became a solely Marine Corps command. Army One items are rather scarce and these two glass tumblers feature the gold and blue full presidential seal, the words Army One in gold and the gold printed signatures of Richard Nixon and Gerald R. Ford.

Lastly, I have a smoked tumbler from the HMX-1 command featuring a gold presidential seal with the added words of HMX-1 on the obverse and the two principal helicopters servicing the presidential fleet, the smaller VH-60N and the larger VH-3D with words Marine One all in gold. Within a couple of years, the helicopters used by the HMX-1 command will be completely replaced with a newer VH-71 Kestral so these items will be instantly collectible.

What are some of your official presidential glassware?

21 Responses to “Presidential Glassware”

1. dorothyesther says:

i have two army one richare nixon glasses do they have any value

2. Becca Myers says:

I have several ones even a JFK rare glass what would any of these sets be worth? I have carters, johnson candy dish etc but i have no idea what they are worth… can you help? email me at galaxystargifts at yahoo thanks!

3. Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Dorothy – Army One memorabilia is indeed a good presidential collectible. From late 50s to early 70s, the president’s helicopter was under joint supervision of the Army and Marines. Gerald Ford authorized the Marines to manage the presidential helicopter squadron exclusively early in his term. The helicopter has been known as Marine One ever since.

There are relatively fewer items associated with Army One and so any items from glassware to match books to photos all have special value. Depending on the condition of your Richard Nixon Army One glass, the value could be from $150 to $250 to a collector.

4. Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Becca – There are many types of presidential collectibles, but the glassware is particularly sought after by the small group of presidential items collectors. The candy dishes from presidents can have a value from $125 and higher depending on type and condition.

The JFK glass could be significant, too, but it depends what type, whether it has a signature, and its condition. An image of that particular item, plus the candy dishes of the other presidents would be more helpful.

5. sandyann says:

I have a pair of clear “on the rocks” sized glasses on which are etched “Welcome Aboard Air Force One” and have Ronald Reagan’s signature on them. Perfect condition. Also presidential seal. What’s their value?

• Mary Brenneman Mary Brenneman says:

Check out WorthPoint’s 14-day free trial, you can look up the glasses on the Worthopedia, the world’s largest data base of art, antiques and collectibles historical (realized) prices. There are millions of items in the database and chances are good you can find what you need. Click here for more information 14 Day Free Trial
      You can also Ask a Worthologist, for a small fee. Mary

6. Jeremy says:

My father was the flight engineer on Army One during Nixon and Ford. I have glasses, cigarettes, matches, welcome cards, and a lot more from the aircraft. I was just recently chosen for Antiques Roadshow and am going to take it all. I will let everyone know what the glasses are worth.

• Tom Carrier says:

Jeremy:

I’m delighted to hear that you will be featured on Antiques Roadshow, especially for one of my personal collectible favorites – items from Army One.

I was an Army paratrooper stationed with the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg, NC and as my interest in all things presidential became more focused, it was items from Army One that became the center of my collection. Today, I have several original Army One patches cut directly from the uniforms, one handmade and used in Vietnam, glasses from Gerald Ford and Richard Nixon, a visitor certificate, a candy dish from Richard Nixon, all are central to my presidential collection.

I wish you well with your collection and with the Antiques Roadshow. Keep us all informed as to what happened. And thanks, for letting us know.

Tom Carrier

7. Jennifer Lomax says:

I have 2 Richard Nixon glasses and 1 Gerald Ford glass. The Gerald Ford glass says aboard army one. Can you tell me where I could find a collector that would buy them? I live in Arlington, Texas.

8. Dea says:

My mother passed and in her treasures I have a rectangular etched glass clear glass plate w/ President Tatlor`s face and name on it as well, can you possibly help me find a value, for insurance purposes or to sell the right collector? Also a collector plate, from the Franklin Mint, for President Lincoln from 1984!I`d really appreciate your help! Thank you!

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Dea: Your glass plate of President Taylor sounds interesting and promising while the collector plate is probably worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it. They call these collector’s plates, but they really are not.

Please send photos, though, of both and we can make a better determination.

Tom Carrier
      Worthologist

9. Tammy Leon says:

I am interested in sellinga couple of items #1 candy dish asmokey glass with welcome aboard army one in great condition presidential seal and Richard Nixons gold signature #2 a flat oval plate with presidential seal smaller than on the candy digh with Richard Nixon signature and welcome aboadr army one three #3 Candy dish welcome aboard Marine one Richard Nixon sticker label on the back #4Welcome aboard marine one candy dish Richard Nixon.Please any one interested in these items send me an e mail to tamaccleon@gmail.com

10. Terah says:

I have a glass commemorative Air Force 1 Richard Nixon Glass awarded to my father for his service as a Marine on Air FOrce 1 during Vietnam. I am looking to what the valuse of it maybe?

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Terah:

If your Nixon item looks similar to the one in the photo above, then it is indeed a unique presidential item. Once upon a time, these items were rather rare, even scarce. But, with the advent of online auction sites, more and more are making their appearance more often and so the value has dropped below what they used to be.

Still, with the gold/blue presidential seal and the Nixon signature in gold on a clear glass whiskey tumbler, it still makes a great collectible for presidential collectors.

Hope that helps.

Tom Carrier
      Worthologist

11. JoAnna says:

I have a Richard Nixon autographed tumbler from Marine one how much is that worth

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

JoAnna: I’m going to copy an answer from a previously asked question about your tumbler:

“Terah:

I have successfully sold similar Air Force One tumblers for presidents from Nixon to Clinton and can reliably be certain of a value from $195 to $295.”

Hope that helps.

Tom Carrier
      Worthologist

12. JoAnna says:

And wear can I sell it at

13. Kat says:

I have a set of 8 Ronald Reagan Marine One glasses with Presidential seal and signature. What would this set be worth? They are in great condition.

• Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Kat:

That’s quite a lot of inventory. I’m going to reprint my answer from a previously similar question, but taken as a whole you’re quantity is quite a lot and could have a slightly lower value en masse.

“Terah:

Now this is a retail or collector value. With your large collection it may have a slightly lower value to sell them all.

Hope that helps.

Tom Carrier
      Worthologist

14. Ian Burns says:

I have a Large candy dish, compote thing with a presidential seal and a torch of some sort on it. It was given to me so i don’t really know too much detail about where it came from or what it is. Can anyone help me out on what it is and where it came from? Thanks!

15. Tom Carrier Tom Carrier says:

Ian:

Thanks for the individual images.

This is a curious item. What I can say is that this is not an official presidential or White House item. The eagle design is merely a commercialized version of the Great Seal of the United States. In short, its just a design element.

Unless the glass is from a significant manufacturer or is made of lead crystal, the actual value would be based on its retail value, not an historical one.

Hope this helps.