Start free trial

Help with South Carolina potter Laura A. Cade

I recently bought a planter with initials "LAC" on the bottom. Looked aged, although in great condition. Trying to determine if it is actually old.
    The only information I have been able to find is that Drury Boykin (DB) Cade of Petersburg opened a pottery in 1885 and his wife Laura A Cade initials appear on much of the pottery.
    Other than this, I am having little luck.
    I can post a picture if needed.
    9" high X 11" long
    Gold base and trim
    2 sides each has 9 naked women with yellow hair draped in cloth that is either purple or shade of pink, 2 holding a large containers? of wine?.
    Trees on each of the 2 ends.
    Above the images of women on each side is an image in gold of a greek god or a lions head????? uncertain.
    Handpainted.

Interested in more information on the above people who may have made this.

Thankyou,
    sandfisher

Please post photos of the pottery it sounds lovely.

Agreed - anxious to see this!

I'll post a pic this weekend.

sandfisher

LAC 003.jpgLAC 002.jpgLAC 001.jpg

Has been used as a planter at some point, but not alot of wear or usage. Doesn't look real old, but never know. It could have been well cared for.
    Any ideas or information?

9" high X 11" long
    Gold base and trim
    2 sides each has 7 naked women with yellow hair draped in cloth that is either purple or shade of pink, 2 holding a large containers? of wine?.
    Trees on each of the 2 ends.
    Above the images of women on each side is an image in gold of a greek god or a lions head????? uncertain.
    Handpainted.

sandfisher

based on your images this is a quite modern example of Capodimonte pottery . Most of it postdates World War two and was extensively imported to the USA during the 1980's.Capodimonte has become a genric term to describe Clorful Italian pottery with high relief decoration, often depicting classical scenes.

Thankyou for the information. Capodimonte was the impression I had when I bought it. But I didn't see a mark, other than the "LAC", to give me the confidence to call it Capodimonte. I'm happy it is.

sandfisher