Start free trial

Transfer ware help with the artist

Royal Vienna artist F R Stahl information help

I recently purchased 2 pieces of pottery signed by F R Stahl. Bought same time as one of the pieces of Majolica.
    It is transferware.
    A man with a mandolin sitting courting a woman sitting with a dog laying at her feet and on the otherside a man playing mandolin courting 2 woman sitting.

The bottom mark is "Victoria- Carlsbad-Austria" page 59 M in the Kovels book of marks.
    Year 1891 - 1918
    10 " tall
    Can't find much information on the artist F R Stahl.
    I would like to know more. Any help?

sandfisher

LAC 014.jpg

LAC 011.jpgLAC 012.jpg

LAC 010.jpg

Many thanks. I found this similar item in the Worthopedia, and it sold for about $150. It is described as..."Offered is an Antique Victorian Era Circa 1880s 7" Vase attributed to Royal Vienna, Signed by the Artist, Stahl. Elegant portrait vase has a courting theme depicting a gentleman playing a mandolin two two lovely Renaissance Era Ladies on one side and a gentleman with mandolin courting a woman with her dog as another woman looks on. Urn form vase with handles is covered with gilded decoration and hand painted accents. Lovely! Marked "Austria" on underside, attributed to Royal Vienna of Austria and "121". Side of transferware decoration is marked "Stahl". Item is in fair condition with a 1/2" chip to tip of handle, a repair to other tip of handle and a 3.5" spidering hairline which runs vertically from base. Light surface wear to decoration and gilding. Measures approximately 11 7/8" high, 7" wide including handles and 3 5/8" deep. I hope that this is helpful.
    stahl.jpg

I did find that same item in Worthopedia.
    Any idea where to find more informatin on F R Stahl?

sandfisher

I am having trouble getting information on the artist, but here is another one of his items for your review: Wiggett's Antique Marketplace

It appears that this is the guy.
    I was looking for F.R.Stahl.
    Should have been looking for Fr. Stahl. Friedrich Stahl. There is no (.) between the F & R like I thought there was on the vase.
    Noticed this after some searching and found a few signatures that I could find on online auctions. Then took a closer look at my pieces. Although his signature varies slightly over the years, it is obvious that it is from the same person. Definite signature similarities.

sandfisher

Very cool!