Start free trial

Need information about my Oyster Plate

I have an oyster plate that is about 10 1/3 inches by 8 inches. It has indentations for oysters on the front. On the back it says "PAT. Jan. 4-1881" and "U.R.W." and below that a picture of what looks like a bird. Can anyone tell me anything about it?
    Thanks,
    Tracy

In the Worthopedia, there are a few listings that sounds somewhat what you might have, perhaps made around the same time by the same company, the Union Porcelain Works from Greenpoint NY. They reads in part...

"...oyster plates with the Union Porcelain Works Greenpoint NY backstamp and the U.R.W. stamp with the eagle and pat. date of Jan. 4, 1881. Each has one seashell well for sauce, and 4 oyster wells. Surrounding the wells are various crustaceans in relief, all hand painted. I see seashells, crabs, snails and other sea flora and fauna. Each has been intricately hand painted, and t are subtle variations in the colors used. Some of the seashells are highlighted in gold. Each plate measures 6 X 8-1/4 in overall size and all are free of chips, cracks and crazing. These are really SWEET oyster plates."

They sold at prices all over the map since around 2007, but on average it looks like around $300 =/- each over time.
    oyster plate.jpg

Thanks so much. I have listed my plate on ebay for $175 starting and $350 buy it now. Maybe my start should be higher since my plate is bigger 10x8 and has 6 oyster wells. Hmmm.

It all depends on the condition, and who's looking to buy now! Best of luck!