Start free trial

Vintage Japanese vases

These were inherited from my MIL fifty years ago. I think she had had them since well before WWII. They look like they might be satsuma, but I can find no markings on them at all. They are 10" high, in excellent shape, very handsome. Not identical but almost so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If they are unmarked they are done in Satsuma style but not from the Satsuma area. Satsuma was produced in a number of areas, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and many other places. The Kyoto ware was produced in an area called Awata and is named Kyoto Satsuma.
    Price wise if they are not marked at all, without looking at more detailed pictures I would say, 50-300 dollars for the pair. The low end is for a quick sale, the higher end depends on the amount of detail and if they do in fact have a confirm-able area of manufacture or maker.
    Nice vases.
    Dave

Thanks very much for the evaluation. I think you're right that they are Kyoto produced.. I don't find any identical ones on the internet or even ones that are the same shape. The finish is matte except for the gold trim, etc; they really are very handsome. But I'm breaking up my household and will need to part with them. Knowing the range of how much to ask for is useful.