Start free trial

Help identifying mark on pair of iridescent vases

I recently purchased a pair of vases and am having the hardest time finding anything similar to them as well as who made them!
    I've looked at Marks & Library and it doesn't seem to be posted and have spent days google searching. The vases appear to be exactly the same but are slightly different in size and have a beautiful iridescent glaze and both feature a bust of a woman's torso. The mark is an inpressed "TH" inside of a square-or maybe it's "TK".
    Does any one know anything about them?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vintageerrands; 06-29-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Adding more photos

I was interested in seeing the vases to give me an idea what I am looking for. Could you post more photos for us?

Maggie

Hi Maggie,
    I added a few more photos to my post. I had to use images from the site I bought them from because the images I took with my phone didn't turn out well. Thanks for your help with this!

Can you give us a link to the site?

Maggie

Monogram marks like this tend to be English in origin dating from the second quarter of the 20th century, but the use of iridescent/ luster finishes highly unusual on a piece from that time period. Generally pieces like this without a documented marking is generically referred to as "Art" or "Studio" pottery, much of it the product of small mid to late 20th century potteries whose work has not be researched or referenced at this point in time.

This one does have a mark similar to one I personally have on file for the Treganna Hill pottery in Cornwall, England circa 1955-60, but the type and glaze on your piece is unlike anything I've seen from that pottery.

Thank you!! I bought them online from the Hillsboro, OR Good Will store. I did come across similar marks without the square around the initials on Marks & Library and Kovels. I read somewhere that sometimes only the designer/decorator would leave their mark and the manufacturer's mark would be left off-I don't know if that applies to these vases. The iridescent/luster glaze is what is really throwing me off since that was used before the 1950's.

Do you by chance know of any one else I can send my inquiry to?

Looks like Czech lustreware to me, they manage to make fabulously lustrous products that are almost rainbow-like. Count Thun use a TK mark, but I am not sure if its that, but its a line to investigate.