Start free trial

Why would 2 identical Czech vases have different marks?

These 2 vases were given to me some time ago. They have different marks on the bottom (see pics) and I'm curious as to why this is so. Does it affect their value? Saw a similar one for sale on ebay several yrs ago at 50.00. One has a beehive type mark with the word Jome inside and " MADE CZECHOSLOVAKIA". The other has" Made 27 Czechoslovakia" and either the word "in" or a crown in the middle.vasemark2.jpgvasemark1.jpgczheckvases.jpg

Stay tuned, let me get an expert on this for you.

Sometimes porcelain like this was produced as undecorated blanks, but were decorated to the company's specifications by another pottery or studio, some times more than one. In some cases there will be two markings on the base, the mark of the company that made the blank and the mark of company that decorated it, in others just the marking of the company that decorated it. If either of the company markings is that of a well known and highly sought after porcelain works, it would generally sell for more than one with an unknown marking or one having no marking at all. Blanks were also sold to independent studios who would decorate them to their design.

I have been trying to identify the markings on my piece of Made in Czechoslovskia and the top letters are I think ILTR and the bottom is an L with an O above the leg of the L then STRO. This vase has been in my family over 100 years and I would like to know a little about it. It is a bright yellow water pitcher with a black handle.

Hello, can you post some picture of the vase, a photo of the mark, and a description, including size and color?

To the first question it may be that the factory that produced the vases use that as a regular shape/design yet in reality they could have been produced many years apart, during which time there may have been several changes in backstamps. Looking at the pics, there are subtle differences in the decoration which are probably the nuances of different decorators, but it may be an indication of produced at different times. Incidentally the only record I can find that seems to fit is Johann Menzl, but I know nothing of him other than he was a businessman that had a ceramic business.

To rhastings, it is most likely not 100 years old as Czechoslovakia came into being in 1918 and a lot of ceramics produced in the early years seem to be marked Bohemia, however thats not saying it isnt nearly 100 years old of course.

Just a thought, I suspect is it possible the ILTR is 1 Litre. Look up Lostro Pottery or Ditmar Urbach.