Start free trial

Octagon plate with 10 presidents and white house

2012-10-30_08.56.35.jpgI have a octagon plate that has 10 presidents,8 states,and the white house on it. On the back the mark is LaFrancaise Porcelain,and on the front Palm Fechteler & Co. I cannot find any info on this plate at all. It was given to me by my mother in law and she knew nothing about it. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this for me?
    Last edited by tressadupuy@att.net; 11-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Here is a copy/paste from this site, Eye, Heart & Mind « The Task at Hand

Megargee’s work is especially interesting because of the role it played in developing dinnerware as art. Pictures on plates were quite the fashion in America in the early 1900s, and images of birds were common. The work of Megargee and others was purchased by companies who produceddecalcomania (decals, for short) for use by china manufacturers such as Homer Laughlin, Knowles Taylor Knowles, Smith-Phillips and a variety of smaller companies throughout the Ohio Valley and Eastern US.
    The two largest providers of decalcomania were Palm Bros & Co. and Palm, Fechteler & Co. In 1894, individuals associated with these two firms purchased a controlling interest in the capital stock of American Decalcomania Company, and elected a majority of the directors of that company. The business was moved to Hoboken, New Jersey, and that that point, the company motto apparently was, “Let the price fixing begin”. (Those interested in the history and disposition of the case can find details in the Atlantic Reporter.)

Thank you David for the info.Do you know about when the plate was made?

A souvenir presidential platter very similar to yours was sold @ auction by LiveAuctioneers for $275 in 2011. You'll find some additional information in the link. That plate is dated circa 1910.