Start free trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question A most unique, one-of-a-kind ceramic cat! Hope to get help!

I came to inherit a very unique (to say the least), pea-green ceramic cat, looks as if it may possibly resemble a cat were curled up in a sitting position -- or some alien artwork... It is one of the most unusal pieces of artwork I've seen. I'm sure my long-deceased uncle bought it during one of his many trips around the world because he had a great passion for cats and cat-related artwork in various forms. It is so unique and while I did not like it the first time I saw it, because of it's uniqueness and the interesting ceramic work itself, it's kind of grown on us. Whether the artist intended or not, this piece takes on different characteristics and interpretations, and varies at different times of the day. It almost seems to physically change in its appearance, but it's always keeping an eye on you... don't know quite how to explain it. In any event, like any great work of art, this piece is interpreted in multiple ways...

Age - I suspect this to be in the 50-60+ year range, possibly more. It is in excellent condition.

Artist's Signature - on the bottom of the sculpture (don't know if that's the right term), in some sort of black ink, the letters 4729 are displayed. And what could be the artist's signature is below the numbers. It's hard to say because it looks as if the pen expelled excess ink or the artist changed what he/she initially printed. At first glance, we thought the letters spelled, "Italy," but in looking at is closer, I don't think so.

I truly hope that someone will have some input about this most unique piece, and if not, possibly you can point me in the right direction since there are so many online resources. I'm not sure of it's worth, if anything, so I cannot justify spending a significant amount of $$ to take it to an appraiser.

Here's a link to the photos. The photos may take a minute to load as they've not been down-sized. The camera used is a Nikon.

Link: UNIQUE FELINE HAND-CRAFTED CERAMIC Photos by equineconn | Photobucket

TEMPORARY PASSWORD required to view this folder is: crazy_cat1
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW RIGHT AWAY IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM ACCESSING THE PHOTOS. THANKS!

Thanks for your assistance and I hope to hear from someone soon!

Please feel free to email me at halfpass123@gmail.com
    Last edited by Wesley1; 07-08-2013 at 02:56 PM.

I cannot view the photos. Can you post a screen shot?

Cat Ceramic/Sculpture Photos

Will try this -- there were 26 photos, so I've done a screenshot of most. Hopefully this will help. Don't know why you cannot access the photos with the temporary password. Thanks. Please let me know if these are sufficient. Looks like they may be too small.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If someone can access the photos on PhotoBucket, if you would, please let me know. We've not have problems before when given the temporary password which appears in my original post - crazy_cat1. Thanks very much. Would really like to know about this piece.

If you cannot access the photos, then I may need to "save for web" to reduce size/res. Thanks.

Hi, sorry, still cannot access the Photobucket site, and cannot see the tiny attached photo. Can you just post one or two photos of the item, and the signature, on the forum so it is easy for everyone to see. This can be easily done by taking screenshots, cropping them, saving them to jpgs, and posting them. All the photos are not necessary unless requested. We are just trying to get the gist of what you have. Thank you.

Hi Rebekah: Thanks for your reply. These are large files, so I've tweaked them a bit. Sorry for the delay, but I'm working on a top priority project - LOL... If need be, I'll post a few pics via separate replies. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

They look OK. That said, these photos have not been properly rotated. I still think you will be able to see enough. Let me know if you need additional photos and thanks for your assistance.

PS - While you can probably ascertain from the pics, it appears this object is one piece. We cannot detect any seams...
    Last edited by Wesley1; 07-12-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Can anyone provide any input about this ceramic piece or point me in a direction to someone who may be able to help? Would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Let me get an expert on it. Stay tuned!

Based on the images this does appear to an Italian Decoartive Art item made after WW2. Most postdate the 1950's and originally would have had a paper or foil label from the Importer, which were often removede after sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast