Start free trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Porcelain Vase with inset Pagoda, garden scene. What is this

DSC_0031.jpgDSC_0032.jpgDSC_0034.jpg

Can anyone help the figure out what kind of vase this is Is is a bisque like porcelain with an inset that has a applied garden scene. Maybe is is not a vase but for lack of a better term that is what I am calling it. It is merely numbered on the bottom which too me makes it look kind of "Dime Store".

Ah Come on guys....Somebody must have an opinion. Is this treasure or junk. Or junk that could be treasure some day.
    What would you call this type of work. I know I have seen stuff like this before. I just can't remember what when or where.

How heavy is it? Is it transparent, or opaque?

It is heavy for it's size and it is opaque. It is only 6" tall and weighs 1 pound 7 oz.

Are you sure it is not made of resin?

If it is porcelain it should ring or at least hurt your finger if you flick it. I think it is too heavy for resin but I don't know that much about resin. A metal piece, bounced against it should give you a firm retort = dense, porcelain type material, soft retort = resin type material.
    Dave

Hi,
    It is Porcelain. for certain. And is has a "ping" when tapped.
    I was thinking that maybe it is European chinoiserie. I am surprised that I have not been able to come up with something similar to it with all the hours I have spent on searches.

The mark makes me think Japanese giftware from mid century. (1950-1970) Most likely a vase, or brush pot. If I had it I would price it $10-15. The marks are most likely mold# or design numbers.
    Last edited by Audra Blevins; 06-21-2011 at 10:36 PM. Reason: add value

OK, That is what I was thinking that is gift ware. It seem like I have seen this kind of stuff before in my childhood.
    Thanks for the opintions. You have been helpful.

Do you think it would be wrong to call it Poo-ware?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast