Start free trial

What Makes A Coin Interesting and Valuable?

It's not just the metal it's made from! Click here to read how coins are valued and what makes them collectible - or not! What is your most favorite coin in your collection, and why?

juliacybeleb.jpgjuliacybele[1].JPG

This picture was taken 3 years ago. So not the best
    Julia Domna, Cybele seated right
    The link above is to the discussion on this coin. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting a link to another site. It is relevant to this post and my coin. Mine is reply 14.
    Unique Ancient Coins
    Scroll to the bottom and this is more info on the coin.
    One of my favorites.
    ob: IVLIA V AVGVSTA
    re: MATRI MAGNAE
    size: 30.5mm
    weight: 19.9 grams
    small hole through the top

Bought this coin that was sitting in junk box with other low end ancient coins. It cost $10.00.
    Turns out it is a fake. But this isn't bad. It's an ancient fake. Obverse being of the Empress Julia Domna, the reverse of Empress Faustina II. There are only 2 others known. Could be many out there, but 3,including mine, have acknowledged.
    One is in the British Museum and the other by a collector in the UK.

The British example is mentioned in the books Cohen and Roman Imperial Coins.

This coin is special to me and was a great find.

sandfisher
    Last edited by sandfisher; 07-11-2011 at 04:25 AM.

Rebekah, you know about coins too???! A woman of many wonders!

My favourite coins, not that I have an actual collection, are in a little red royal blue velvet lined case that has been handed down to me from my maternal grandmother from England. Dated 1894 the set is called "Maundy" coins. They were handed out to a select few by the Queen (or King) of the time (practice dates back 100's of years). Now, of course, it is Queen Elizabeth. Nowadays, the coin sets are VERY limited. They are given to pensioners of the same age as the Queen, & the number handed out equals the AGE of the Queen. They are specially minted, and have been, for a hundred years or more, from silver. The set I have is prior to when they limited the sets to the age of the monarch & could be purchased from a banking or mint institution as well as being presented. Those AFTER 1914 (I believe) are rarer because you cannot get them any other way than having them presented. My set includes a silver penny, a 2 pence (half Groat), a 3 pence, and a 4 pence (Groat) all dated 1894 with the "old" Queen Victoria image. Included as a little extra, is one single silver penny (which means its also Maundy) dated 1856 with the "young" Queen Victoria image. Perhaps from my great grandmother?
    To me this is a very special set. Not incredibly valuable monetarily (about 125 GBP for the 1894 set & an additional 35 GBP for the 1856 coin for uncirculated condition), since they are not really rare, except I've not found any reference to the CASE they are in. Perhaps that adds to the value!
    I have no pictures, but can add them if there is any interest in seeing what they look like!
    Mandicrafts

I would like to see a picture of the coins and case.

sandfisher

Yes, post the picture if you can!

I'm sorry it took me this long to get photos etc, but I finally did! Lets see if I can post them. If not, I also wrote a blog about Maundy Money and will try & get that link in here too!

Mandicrafts News & Views - Teddy Bears & Collectibles: Coin Collecting: An Introduction to BRITISH MAUNDY Money COINS

P7220058.jpgP7220059.jpgP7220068.jpgP7220073.jpg
    Mandicrafts
    Ontario Canada

Very cool! Thank you for posting this!! Sandfisher, what do you think?

From a collecting perspective, this is what it's all about. Always great to know the history with an item. Especially an item with such a grand history. Imagine what it would be like to recieve a set from a King or Queen.

sandfisher