Start free trial

Need assistance on finding real value of "after monet" oil on canvass.

In excellent condition, oil on canvass "after monet" 30 x 24, beautifully framed, signed and dated. On the back upper left corner of frame is a slightly worn label that states where the artist studied and who he studied with. The artist's signature is Mackenzie and dated 1964. The label in the back states he studied under the direction of Ernst Krupp. I have done a large amount of research on line and seem to go in circles. There is enough information to state that Krupp was a well known and well respected artist and teacher in Munich Germany and many people on line from what I have found have noted in their bio's that they too studied and learned from this man. I believe this may be grouped under the "American Impressionism" but not sure. I am attaching a picture and hope someone can assist me in finding the real value of this beautiful piece. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is very interesting as now I see over 1000 people have "viewed" this item but nothing replied, commented, etc.
    Does anyone have any info on anyone who could maybe have more info on this piece? Thanks

The way art appraisers value a piece is by looking at what other examples of the same artist's work have sold for. If Mr. or Ms. Mackenzie does not have any recorded sales, the only way to estimate a value (and it would be a very broad estimate) would be to look at what similar pieces from the same time period by other unknown artists have brought at auction. This would be a very time consuming procedure, so you won't find anybody to do it for you for free. You can do it yourself if you have the time and are willing to subscribe to the websites that have this information (like askart.com). Of course, the only way to find the "real value" of your painting is to consign it to an auction and see what it sells for.

Paintings like this with the use of heavy Impasto tend to date from the 1960's through the 1980's, sold through Department, Decorator stores and traveling "Starving Artist" art shows. A great many of the artists who painted pieces like this did so through Art wholesalers, producing multiples of the same subject . Quite often there is not much biographical details available about the artist , some actually worked under several false names. Mackenzie is a very common name, tracking him/her down without some sort of provenance will take a great deal of work, the cost of which often exceeding the value of the painting. I'd suggest checking here for a general search and see if you can find a match for your painting LiveAuctioneers Antiques Auctions