Start free trial

Question Need Information on "Driving To Westward" Original, Signed Oil Painting by R.G. Craig

I inherited an original oil on hard board signed by R. G. Craig in the lower right-hand corner (tested and is an original oil). Looks like the artist may have etched his name in the oil paint before drying. We know this is an original. It is at least 60+ years old. It is of a beautiful, large clipper ship in the forefront with another ship off in the distance. Looks to possibly have been a stormy day. It is approximately 30" x 24".

It appears from the back that the painting may have come from a gallery in Baltimore, MD that was in existence during the late 1800's to early 1900's. From there, I'm not sure.

I've not been able to find anything out about this oil painting thus far, and very much hope to learn some specifics of this beautiful painting. It was one of the first pieces of art purchased by my parents who were married in 1948.

Thanks very much and any information you can share is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have asked one of our experts to take a look. Stay tuned!

Just curious ,what kind of test did you do to confirm it is an original oil? It does not appear to be on canvas or is it?