Start free trial

Need Help Identifying Artist

Could someone please help me identify this artist? I acquired this painting at a local thrift store, the dimensions are around 13 1/4" X 18 3/4". The painting looks to have some age to it.
    What has got me stuck is I cannot figure out the letters in the signature.
    It would be so helpful if I could get some input on what you think the letters are or better yet if you know the name of the artist.
    It looks like the first letter is M. then v or maybe r I'm not sure about the rest. I would love to hear what letters other people see in the signature. The other oddity is the signature is on the left, not the right.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you so much
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wilso444@hotmail.com; 10-27-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Let me get someone on this. Stay tuned!

Original artwork really requires a physical appraisal to determine origins, vintage and value. Based on what I can see of this one, the stretcher and discoloring of the canvas, it could date back to the 1920's. The problem with oil painting is that it goes in an out of fashion as a hobby with most amateur Artist's work being undocumented, and the Artist remaining unknown. On such pieces where the Artist is unknown , the value of the work is determined on its artistic merit, generally through auction sales.

Thank you for your insight, do you have any idea what the letters are in the signature? Thank you again for your opinion.
    Jan

It looks like "M. vd Pollz to me, but I have nothing in my records for this signature or similar examples.

Thank you, any and all guesses really help me to research this painting. I wish I could afford to have my painting appraised by my funds are limited.