Start free trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help finding Great Great Grandfather's original Civil War CDV!

I'm trying to find the current owner of a CDV that is of my ancestor, Dietrich Bingle. He served in Co. D, 10 New York Heavy Artillery. It sold in 2007 for $38.00. Details here: CDV - Pvt, D. Bingle 10th NY Heavy Artillery - Civil Wa

I would really like to have this back in the family, but as a newbie here I'm assuming locating that individual is very difficult, if not impossible. Seller information would be fantastic as well!

Can anyone here help me find this image?

Thank you,

Joe Marti
    Last edited by itramcj@yahoo.com; 11-09-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added text

Bingell.jpg

This CDV is in the collection of the New York State Military Museum in Saratoga Springs, NY. Their webpage on the 10th Artillery Regiment contains CDVs of 3 soldiers in the batallion, including your ancestor Dietrich Bingle.
    Last edited by lrosack; 11-11-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Thank you, but the CDV I'm looking for is different. It's nearly identical except the frock is unbuttoned (except for the top button) and he is bare headed. The CDV in the NY collection was already there at the time of this auction. Again, thank you, but this isn't the image in question.

Attachment 741
    Let's try again. Is this the image you're searching for?
    This particular CDV was sold by The Excelsior Brigade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lrosack; 11-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.

And for those of you fascinated by Civil War era images, I think you'll enjoy browsing The Center For Civil War Photography.

Yes, that's the one. Perhaps I'm mixed up, but it seemed to me the seller wasnt The Excelsior Brigade itself. Either way, I've written to them (last week) but received no reply. Thank you so much for your efforts. I'd be so happy to bring Grandpa Dietrich home again.

Good luck to you!
    If you're unable to obtain the actual CDV, perhaps the owner would scan the image for you in high resolution so you could have a nice quality print made.

I am really excited to have found your posting on the message board. It seems I am in the same situation and need help tracking down this one that passed through the site

CIVIL WAR CDV Joseph Evans LODGE WIA PENNSYLVANIA

• Sold Date:12/02/2007
    • Channel: Online Auction
    • Source: eBay
    • Category: Fine Art

-David Lodge

Let me get our expert on this. Stay tuned!

Hi David. Are you searching for genealogy information or only for that particular CDV image of Joseph Evans Lodge sold on eBay back in 2007?

In the meantime, in doing a preliminary Internet search I found this information about your ancestors including an image of Joseph Evans Lodge's father, Thomas G. Lodge.

176lodge.jpg
    Last edited by lrosack; 03-24-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast