Start free trial

Need help finding the photograph of my grandfather's Bronx pastry shop

I'm trying to find the current owner of a photograph that is of my grandfather's pastry shop. His name is Michele Messina and the photograph shows him, his employees and three of his four daughters (including my mother, Nancy (Nunziella)) inside his Bronx, NY pastry shop. It sold in 2008 for $35.00.

Details here: Vintage !930's Photograph N.Y.C. Pastry Shop Bronx

I would love to have this photograph in my family - this is the first I've seen of the inside of the shop! However, I'm afraid that locating the seller and buyer would be difficult, at best.

Can anyone here help me find the original photograph?

Thank you,

Maria Landis

Let me get an expert on this. Stay tuned!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RebekahK View Post
    Let me get an expert on this. Stay tuned!
    Hi Rebekah,
    Any new developments on this?

p.jpg

Unfortunately the eBay Seller wasn't identified (and eBay wouldn't have transaction records that far back anyway).

I copied the photo and ran it through Google Image Search, unfortunately without a match.

I just submitted this information to The Ephemera Network's Photography Group to see if anyone there has any Search suggestions.

And a last thought ... have you checked with all family members, asking if anyone has any old albums or boxes of unsorted family photos? It's always possible that more than one copy of this image was made. Good luck! Lynn R.
    Last edited by lrosack; 06-28-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks, Lynn. I did circulate the image to my Messina line - no luck. My mother (the oldest child in the photo) kept records of family documents and photos. Unfortunately, this isn't one of them. Could it be that the photo was taken for PR purposes and never given to Michele?

Being considered the "family historian," I'd love to have it. So, I do appreciate your help and will continue my search. Please let me know if anything transpires from Ephemera.

Best,
    Maria

I've searched the Web without luck ... my guess is this photo was purchased by a private collector who doesn't have it indexed in any type of online database.

I came across these 2 Bronx websites in my Search. I wonder if your photo could be in one of these archives?

The Bronx County Historical Society maintains a Research Library and Archives that boast an enormous collection of 19th and early 20th century photographs, prints and postcards of The Bronx.

Back In The Bronx is a subscription website that has a photo archive of more than 7,000 Bronx photos from the 1930s.

Of course, it's always possible that your post here on Worthpoint will someday be seen by the person who bought the photo.

I will check them out - thank you!