Start free trial

Red face Monumental Marbro Harlequin Lamp

Hello, I inherited a tall Harlequin lamp & wanted to know how I can tell if it is a Marbro lamp or just a replica. My brother had the lamp since the 1950's, however his Harleguin has a black mask & the ones I have seen on the internet have gold masks. Thank you.

Would it be possible to post some pictures of it? Can you see any marks anywhere on it? If so, can you post close ups of these too? Looking forward to learning more about what you've got!

Quote Originally Posted by RebekahK View Post
    Would it be possible to post some pictures of it? Can you see any marks anywhere on it? If so, can you post close ups of these too? Looking forward to learning more about what you've got!
    Here are some pictures. I could not locate any marks. The bottom had a felt base that I peeled back the best I could & I did not see anything. I know for sure he got this mid to late 50's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rohoff View Post
    Hello, I inherited a tall Harlequin lamp & wanted to know how I can tell if it is a Marbro lamp or just a replica. My brother had the lamp since the 1950's, however his Harleguin has a black mask & the ones I have seen on the internet have gold masks. Thank you.
    I did some research on Marbro lamps. I was unable to determin that they put a makers mark on their creations. I don't think the fact that your mask is black is the issue, these Harleguin lamps were all hand painted. The black mask could have been a special order, or repainted at some time. What I believe is the difference between the Marbro Harlequin lamps and other Harlequin lamps is Marbro had an additional base with St Marceaux inscribed. ( artist name who created the original bronze Harlequin figure in 1879.)
    Last edited by Maggie Turnipseed; 06-18-2011 at 01:20 PM.