Start free trial

Luce Furniture Company

I have inherited some dining room furniture that has a tag on the back that reads Luce furniture Co., Grand Rapids, Michigan. I know it is at least 100 years old. I would like to contact someone with Luce but i can find no connection. I would like some information about what you would call this. It is solid mahogany with burl wood veneer on the cabinet doors. The legs are turned. All the pulls are round and original. There is a buffet or sideboard, a serving table, a chona cabinet and dining table with 3 leaves and 8 chairs. If anyone knows the proper name for this style can you let me know. And if you know about Luce i would like to know more. I have tried to add a photo.

Yours,
    Olva
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do not believe Luce is still in business. I found this timeline about the company, suggesting that it went out of business in 1938:
    Luce Furniture Shops of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids (1879-1938)
    began as Luce Furniture Co.
    purchased Grand Rapids Furniture Shops, 1925, changed name
    purchased Michigan Chair Co., 1926; sold line to Furniture Shops of America
    purchased by Kroehler Mfg. Co. of Naperville, IL, 1930
    into receivership, 1935
    became Luce Furniture Corp., 1936
    closed, 1938

In terms of value, the one somewhat comp piece of Luce furniture I found in the Worthpedia sold for $775 in 2007. It is described as... ""
    LUCE FURNITURE CO., GRAND RAPIDS, MICHIGAN American oak Arts & Crafts sideboard having two pair of short drawers flanking cupboard doors all over a long drawer. h: 46" l: 72" d: 22" , here is a picture...
    luce.jpg
    I hope that this is helpful or at least starts the conversation. Does anyone else have an idea or more information?