Start free trial

Brass and Stained Glass Table Oil Lamp - Any Ideas?

Hello All - my mother's cousin sent me photos of a lamp that has been in her family "for a long time." From the three photos she sent, I can find nothing to indicate how old the lamp is or its manufacturer. The owner says there is no stamp or signature anywhere on the lamp. It is not electric but strictly kerosene/oil.

I am not an expert by any stretch, but these were my immediate impressions of the photos:
    • Not Tiffany or Fenton
    • Metal appears to be bronze
    • Cap on the kerosene "can" looks plastic
    • Could be European?
    If anyone has any clues as to how I can ID this piece, I'd be much obliged!

Jen
    Yellow Bird Antiques
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's hard to tell from small images, but based on the design, oil lamps like this tend to date from turn of the 19th century and similar electrical versions 1900-to the 1920's. The multipanel shade is almost generic and could have been made by any number of makers, but generally those by big name makers are marked/stamped. The only way to find a possible match is to check auction records that have a matching or similar lamp that has been identified to a maker or has a provenance to having been produced by a certain company. I'd suggest checking liveauctioneers.com and look at their "Sold Archive" for "Art Nouveau oil lamp" or "Slag Glass oil lamp".

Thank You

Thanks very much for your feedback and suggestions. I wish I had better photos. I will try liveauctioneers.

Jen