Start free trial

Question Help with an ID for my loveseat...Eastlake? Generic Victorian? Reproduction?

photo 1 (2).jpgphoto 3 (2).jpgphoto 2 (2).jpgphoto 5 (2).jpgI found this loveseat at auction...looks great in my living room. I'd like to restore it, but I don't want to ruin it if it has any value as an antique. Before I pay to have it appraised, can anyone help me to determine if it is a period piece, and if so which one?

Thanks,
    Alison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aliobaba; 04-15-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added photos

Eastlake furniture in woods like walnut generally postdate 1870 and were made into the late 1880's. Very little of it is hugely valuable, as the style was mass produced in North America. Restoring this piece will not devalue it, but the cost of restoration will likely exceed it's value. Victorian furniture of this type is not currently in style, values for it have been in decline since the late 1990's.

Thank you so very much for the insight....it helps a lot. I bought the piece for me, but it needs a refinish. I can do it myself with minimal expense, so it helps to know its not a valuable piece that I'm tinkering with