Start free trial

Question BROOCHES 2 Old from grandmother ???

Hello there.
    I have 2 old brooches I was given by my grandmother in 1983. I don't know how old they were or how long she had them for.Could you have a look at photos and see if anyone has any idea what they are and what they would be worth.I can't see any letters or numbers on them and I have no idea about jewellery.I think the straight one is an opal of some sort. Thank you for your time and help. Helen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you see any marks or stamps that might give a clue of they are precious metal, or a manufacturer? Is your gut feeling they are costume or real items? Cheers!

Hi there I can't see any numbers or marking on them.

Ok - my best guess is that they are costume jewelry with mostly sentimental value. I have asked a colleague with more expertise to take a look for a second opinion. Stay tuned!

I have also found another jewelry item looks like an opal necklace pendant.This one doe's have some markings on the back.Could you please have a look for me thanks Helen

Red face new opal necklace

IMG_1207.jpgIMG_1212.jpg Hi there this is the other one I have could you please ckeck this one out thanks Helen

No problem, the expert emailed me that she will take a look at your goodies in the next day or so. Sorry for the delay.

This is a English silver piece . I am unable to put an exact date ,as I am unable to read the last mark that represents the date. It was made in London. A Jeweler or gemologist would need to look at the pendant in person to determine if the stone is an actual Opal. The B M is the makers mark. I was unable to identify the name.
    Is this piece really small?
    Last edited by Maggie Turnipseed; 09-24-2011 at 03:00 PM.

Hi there it is 12mm long x 8mm wide.

I suspect that the "opal" drop was once part of a larger brooch or pendant.
    Last edited by Maggie Turnipseed; 09-25-2011 at 07:12 PM.