Start free trial

Can anyone give me any information about this sword pin?

The pin is marked "silver" on the scabbard. The whole thing closed is 3 1/3 inches long. It's really old, belonged to my grandmother. I am wondering what the carved stone is in the top -- turquoise? Jade? Or? And the two stones in the scabbard? Also, how old is it and what is it worth?
    Thanks,
    Tracy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've put an expert on it. Stay tuned!

I blelieve I need a little more information. From your photos it is difficult to tell what color the metal is. I have seen some of
    These brooches in sterling. Is ther any sort of marking under the pin on the sheath ? There
    seems to be a crack in the carved
    green stone. Does this crack go all the way through the stone Front to back? Any additional information would be helpful

It is silver colored. And it says "silver" on it. The crack doesn't seem to go all the way through, but I think there is a small chip in the carving. It is difficult to tell.
    Thanks,
    Tracy

Could you check the back side of the sword and see if there is a name on it?

On the back it says "sterling," not silver as I first thought. The crack does seem to go all the way through and I'm not sure if it is chipped or not. THere is no name on the back.

Your Sword brooch probably dates from the mid 1940s. It is also possible that is is an unmarked Walbert piece. I have seen very similar sword brooches of the same design marked as Walbert. This would also make sense in that the parent company Lampl is known to have made some jewelry during WWII in Mexico. This sword with the stones has a strong resemblance to the Mexican jewelry from that same period.It is possible the stones in the sheath are Turquoise.The damaged carved stone is possibly Onyx. The sword needs to be reattached to the sheath with the jump ring. The cracked stone does take away some of the,
    collectability as manny collectors are looking for pieces in excellent condition. Wear it and have fond memories of you Grandmother! The sentimental value is immeasurable .
    Last edited by Maggie Turnipseed; 10-27-2011 at 01:31 PM.