Start free trial

Vintage Walking Stick

My Mother aged 93 passed away recently and we have come across this vintage walking stick and also know nothing about this item. It measures 35 1/2" long and has a what looks like an old armed forces metal crest near the top of the walking stick. Can anyone tell us anything about this and if it would have any value to it. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give us.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have asked an expert to take a look for you. Stay tuned!

Quote Originally Posted by RebekahK View Post
    I have asked an expert to take a look for you. Stay tuned!
    Thank you so much. We really appreciate that. Strange thing about this walking stick is it was under a buffet which I had gone under many times to use the plug there and had never seen it there, then last time at her house I was sitting at the dining room table and looked that way and lo and behold there it was under the buffet against the wall. It must have been there for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by noonefan View Post
    My Mother aged 93 passed away recently and we have come across this vintage walking stick and also know nothing about this item. It measures 35 1/2" long and has a what looks like an old armed forces metal crest near the top of the walking stick. Can anyone tell us anything about this and if it would have any value to it. Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give us.

Based on what I can see it's a "Swagger stick" In the British Army and other Militaries following the Commonwealth traditions, commissioned officers carry swagger sticks when in formal uniform as a symbol of rank. Swagger Sticks were often presentation pieces, given to an officer as a gift by local dignitaries or members of their own staff. Values for them depend a great deal on the quality of construction, material used and their provenance.

The "VRI" badge on this one is the Royal Imperial cipher of Queen Victoria, used by the Royal Canadian Regiment from 1894 and of and on till today's date. The pattern of the crown on this one looks like the 1926 model, the earlier model from 1894 had a much different looking crown.