Start free trial

silver reticulated rolled rim wood grain laminate round 17" beverage Tray

this silver tray has three symbols Is this sterling silver? appears to be a ratlike animal a crescent moon followed by an animal with a wavy line from its mouth each in a separate box

What does this mark mean?
    Last edited by allowme2findakeeper; 10-07-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarify

any ideas what metal this might be?

The tray appears to be silver plate. There are some hallmarks to the right of your photo that are cut off. Is there any additional information on the back of the tray?
    I do not recognize the hallmarks shown , I believe them to be faux hallmarks that Silver Plate makers used on their pieces to give them a more "royal look" The marks are similar to English Silver Hallmarks, but they have no bearing as to the silver content of the tray.

Lynn Rosack
    crescent.jpg

I found your silver hallmark (click the image to enlarge). It's from the Crescent Silverware Manufacturing Company of Port Jervis, NY.

"Crescent Silverware Manufacturing Company: Founded in 1922 in New York City. Moved to Port Jervis, NY in 1939. Manufacturers of silverplated holloware and during their early years also made pewter and chrome-plated items. For the past 40 years have made only silverplated holloware. At the present time they manufacture about 40 different items. They took over the Knickerbocker Silver Co. Sold to Samuel Kirk & Son, Inc in 1977."
    Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers by Dorothy L. Rainwater & Martin and Collette Fuller, Schiffer Publishing, 2004.
    Last edited by Lynn Rosack; 10-10-2011 at 05:58 AM.

Great detective work, Lynn! <3

Lynn Rosack
    Thanks, Rebekah! Just lucky ... I had seen that hallmark before in one of my books and remembered it because it was so unusual.

So glad to hear that someone's memory is still working! LOL

Silver reticulated Tray

Many thanks for your research and relaying it in such a consise informative way.
    I've just recently joined the forum and am looking forward to my being able to help someone else.

Lynn Rosack
    You're welcome. I think it's so interesting learning about vintage and antique collectibles. That's why I love Worthpoint!