Start free trial

Question Foundry marks on antique french furniture

My parents had a salon set of french empire (2nd?) furniture, and my mother's aid broke the arm off the setee. I am planning to sell the suite, and was also have it repaired prior to a sale. I happen to examine the gilt bronze egyptian head that is the front rise mount of the arm, and found a hallmark inside...which is probably from the foundry!

Does anyone know the title of an appropriate book that will have french foundry hallmarks...it might also tell the names of furniture makers that a foundry worked with?

also, I have not been able to find any websites that deal with foundry marks!

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated

Lynn Rosack
    Could you provide a photo of the hallmark? Thanks.

Thanks for replying! The mark is inside the bronze head, so I'll to photograph it and get back to you later today

Photo of the mark

Hope this works. The mark is in a tough position, and the light from the flash against the gilding made it a challenge. If this isn's clear enough, I will try again tomorrow outside with a different camera. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Better photo...?

played with the image a bit to enlarge the area with the mark

Lynn Rosack
    Thanks for providing the the photos.
    A foundry mark would have been impressed into the metal at the time of casting. This mark looks almost painted on. Could the arm mount be made of gilded solid wood, and not metal?

more photos might help?

yes, it is not impressed, but the mark doesn't look like paint exactly. Could it be "burnished" onto the metal? (not sure of the correct term to use).

the head mount is definitely metal.

Here are two more photos of the head...not sure who it is suppose to represent, which, I believe might be another clue as to the period. I suppose if the mark is not significant, then I am probably better off having it repaired for sale? Your help is really appreciated.

Lynn Rosack
    Thanks for adding the other photos. I wish I could be of more help.
    Do you have an antique dealer in your area, knowledgeable in furniture, who could personally view the setee and give you an appraisal? That way you'd know its true age, value and how to proceed as far as having the piece restored.