Start free trial

St. Silver double hands dish

I can't find anything online about this dish except about the double hands dish history (this was mostly a glass dish). Would appreciate any info anyone has. It is a tri-foot dish and is approx. 5 1/2 in. long and 4in. wide. Engraving or mark on bottom has "ST. SILVER" in all caps. No other markings on dish.
    ThanksTopView.jpgBttmView.jpg

First off you'll have to have it tested for silver content, without seeing the "St. Silver" mark it's hard to tell what you have. Generally anything that is Sterling silver or has any silver content at all, it will be marked to indicate the precious metal content. For example , pieces marked "Sterling" or "925" tend to be American and are 92.5% silver. St. Silver is sometimes used as a short form for "Sterling silver"

WP.jpg

I have a similar design in cast iron, measuring 7 1/4" x 5 3/4". The bottom support is a ring rather than feet and is signed on the reverse OHIO STOVE PORTSMOUTH OHIO. Portsmouth Stove & Range was founded in 1889. A dish my size would have been used as a spoon rest; I use mine to hold business cards. Here is some interesting information on the Double Hands Dish.