Start free trial

Question wes blackinton silver tray

I have a wes blackenton silver tray. very heavy. weighs 2.8 lbs. has writing on back, but cant see well enough to know what it says and number 289. Can anyone help me with this? I fell in love with it at first sight and want to know era and anything i can find out about it. tyvm in advance. It measures 13 inches across. also has 3 feet on bottom.silver 001.jpgsilver 001.jpgsilver 002.jpg

Ok, i have found out it is chippingdale design...now if only i can find out what era it is. Anyone?? also wondering if it is possible to find other pieces to set. I really like it and think it is going to be my new collection. something familar about it...maybe from childhood..not sure but it definately got me. thanks.I will keep researching and find what i can. Just thought it would be easier if someone knows and could point me in right direction.

Let me get an expert on it. Stay tuned!

W&S Blackinton was formed by the Blackinton brothers in 1865 . As far as I know they did not make silverplated pieces like this until after the company was purchased by the Ellmore Silver Co. in the 1930's. Values for silverplate is very modest at the moment, here is a link to silver trays sold at auction recently http://www.liveauctioneers.com/search?q=silverplated+tray&sort=relevance&dtype=ga llery&hasimage=true&type=complete&rows=20&addfq=sa le_date_year%3A("2012")

Check around the various online Auction sites (GoAntiques, eBay, Ruby Lane, Bonanza, etc.) and you should be able to find pieces in a similar style to complete a coffee/tea service. As the other Worthologist lovejoy mentioned, antique & vintage silver-plate is very affordable right now ... so it's the perfect time to shop for those companion pieces to your lovely tray! Use the Search term W&S Blackinton to find pieces by the same manufacturer.
    Last edited by lrosack; 02-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.