Start free trial

Welcome to this new forum!

Per forum users requests, here is a place for all dealers to ask questions and exchange best business practices. We welcome your comments and engagement!

Thanks for setting this up! Hopefully others will stop by and say hello. Let me get the ball rolling by introducing myself. My name is Zendelle and I live in southern Maine. I have been buying and selling dolls for 15-20 years and this year I decided to branch out into other types of decorative antiques and collectibles. After sitting at auctions for 3 hours to buy one or two dolls, it occurred to me that I might as well be buying other things too! I love just about anything old and enjoy the idea that I am finding new homes for these pieces of the past. I also love learning about and documenting dolls and other antiques. My website is www.vintagedollcollector.com. Looking forward to meeting some new friends here.

Nice to meet you Zendelle. It is great to learn about a doll expert, I am a Steiff expert and am frequently asked for a referral to a doll person. Do you do valuations and consignment as well?

Well, doing appraisals is something I haven't quite sorted out yet. I mean, I do them at my doll club's annual show, and sometimes get referrals too - but I get a lot of requests from people who find me through my website and want to know all about their doll and what their doll is worth. I try to give them an identification and some history if I can - but my answer on value is usually "search completed listings on eBay and Worthopedia" because it's too hard to give a good answer with fuzzy cell phone pics, and I really can't spend all my time giving free online appraisals. Has anybody figured out how to charge for online appraisals?

Agreed. Worthpoint does it pretty well for sure!