Start free trial

Thread: Rotating stock

Rotating stock

This question is for dealers who sell in group shops and antique malls, or in your own shop. Do you have a policy about how long you will let an item sit on the shelf before you mark it down, rotate it to another location, or send it to auction? Personally I get nervous when things sit around for more than a month or two. I keep track of the date when something goes in the shop, so I know when it's been there too long. Sometimes I think maybe I am too hasty. But on the other hand, I have been in shops where I see some of the same items for literally years, and it drives me nuts. What do you think?

In the past I have left items sitting for a long time. But you have the right idea. Rotating stock and keeping it fresh and new for the customer is smart, and in turn, that customer(s) will keep returning to see what is new in your shop.
    They don't need to return if most everything is the same every visit.
    The place where I used to sell has many, many items that have sat there for many years. And even with fluctuations in the price market, they haven't budged on the price. My point is traffic in this place is very little. And I think fresh itmes would help improve their business.

I would think monthly changes in items would be beneficial.

sandfisher

I have an online specialty shop and I basically keep everything up all the time. But I do try and infuse at least a dozen new items into inventory every month to keep things interesting and fresh.

I was at a group shop yesterday and discussing this subject with one of the employees. He was talking about a dealer there who has a lot of square footage and sells quite a bit. He said she doesn't let anything go longer than 90 to 120 days, and he thought that was about right, so maybe I should give things a bit more time.

Sandfisher, are you still an active dealer? Or retired?
    Last edited by tinfoilhat; 09-25-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Just hiatus. Roaming through resale and thrift stores and just collecting for myself right now. But sometime within the next few years I would like to open a place. Or at least get back to selling in a shop.

sandfisher

Rotating stock values

Hi, Good answers and I agree 60-90 days on most items except I think some higher end items need longer as there potential buyer market is smaller. For items over $1000 I think 6-8 months exposure is reasonable to give them fair opportunity to sell and another consideration is time of year. We sell only online on several venues and at Christmas for example, the 3 months leading up, we will delete very few items where as in spring we may run items for only 30 days.
    We are more likely to remove small items if they do not sell in 2-3 weeks, whereas higher end items sometimes take longer to find a new home. The only other consideration for us is personal preference, I may keep a piece of art listed for a long time and not reduce it if I really like it on display in my home and I am enjoying visiting with it.

Very interesting. Ironically, it is easier for me to sell a great three or four figure item than just a fair or good two figure one. Has anyone else seen this as well? (Of course, and unfortunately, those great three or four figure items are far and few between!)

I find the more I move things in my little space in my 'Collectibles' Mall, the more things sell. Bring it to the front, catch the eye of the quick browser who stops in every week. I honestly think it's a hassle and I wish I didn't have to do it- but just switching it up makes a huge sales difference in my limited space. I never cut the price- I know what I "need" out of an item and price accordingly in the first place. I also just take things from not sold ebay auctions and not sold for 'too long' at my space and put it in a 'sell later' tub in my basement with the packed date and description of what is in the tub. I have been selling for over 10 years, ebay and malls, this works for me. I find treasures in my basement all time!