Start free trial

So, What's It Worth?... The Question We Both Love and Dread!

I came across this blog post and thought it made tons of sense - and really illustrated the complexities of determining something's "worth." What do you think? Click here to check it out.

That is a great article. Thanks for posting the link.

As someone who does appraisals on a daily basis you have to deliver the different price points. Another factor to take in to consideration is that an item sitting in an antique mall in a small town will, or should, have a lower price point than the same item in a shop in the city.

What gets me is that everyone believes that their item is priceless because 'someone has it listed on eBay at' or 'I saw it on such and such show for'. I don't do appraisals to give dishonest answers. What do I stand to gain by undervaluing an item? It is difficult to tell someone that their family heirloom is only worth $20 but it is what it is.

I totally totally agree. And just because something is "old" or was your grandmother's (who always had the finest taste!) doesn't mean it translates into value in today's world or economy. It is hard to deliver "bad" news, but I always do so in context... and I always talk about "sentimental" value if the item clearly has that to a person.