Start free trial

Do you know what this is?

My Mother passed unfortunatley passed away and in cleaning out the house we can across this piece and we are wondering if anyone knows what this may be and what it would be used for?

Thanks for any help in advance as we have absolutely no idea what this is or what it may be used for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you give a bit more information about it, including the size and what it is made of? Any marks on it?

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I am so long in answering but the item is at my Mothers home in another town and we are now here so we have found the and this is what we can tell you. The item 12" tall with a wooden handle could be walnut and the handle is 6 1/2" high. On the top of the handle it has the numbers 666 and looks like it has 6s around the outer edge of the handle. Just below the handle is a huge metal nut that is 2 1/4" wide by 7 1/2" in diameter. Below the nut is a metal round piece 12 1/2" in diameter. Beneath the metal piece there is approx. 15 layers of circular leather it measures 14 1\2" in diameter. Then there is a metal base that is 12 1/2" in diameter and then on the bottom there is a large wooden plug in the center. Hope this helps as we have no idea what this could be. It does have markings around the top plate below the large screw but we can't make out what it says.

Ok, thanks, that's more information and is helpful. Let me ask around. Or any forum readers have an idea?

So have you had any luck? We actually had an antique dealer in the house to look at a few things and he had no idea either so sounds like this is a really odd piece.

Hi noonefan! I have been looking, because my first thought was possibly an antique farrier tool...but some pictures came up also on a google search for antique hide scrapers..and it looks similar to these, but I can not find one that looks exactly the same...maybe a direction you can go for you hunt??? Hope this helps....

Me again noonefan! My husband was looking at it and said it may be some sort of grinding tool, as the leather could be replaced when it wears out, from pushing a grain possibly into a machines neck...this way the leather wears and not the metal on a machine...if that makes any sense...he had to draw it for me so I could understand! lol...

also could be an old leather mallet..they are still used today for fine crafting work..here are two pictures I found of homemade ones...sorry it wasn't all in one post!

Leather Mallet by Gary Caron - Traditional Woodworking Tools Internet Magazine - wkFineTools.com

Making a Small Mallet by James D. Thompson

That is so sweet of you to do all this searching for us as honestly we had no direction to go in so this helps a lot! Thanks again so very much

P.S....sorry about your mother passing...sorry I did not offer this earlier...be safe and well