Start free trial

Chinese seal mark

Are you asking if it is from the era it is claiming to be, that is, a Chien Lung, Qianlong mark? If that is the question it would be very difficult to tell from photos if it is genuine. There is a mark that isn't clear on the first photo of the seal in the upper left corner. Is it possible to get a clearer photo of that?

Hi David! I will try and get a clearer picture of that one mark....it looks to be an S and a 6 or 9...I can't tell..but other collectors have told me the paint colors and styles (hair, eyes etc.) show it to be modern day and that the mark is just for decoration...can porcelain makers do that, place a fake mark on it like that? If so that is very, very sad...thank you for your time and your comments. My sister in law is Chinese, but she can only read Mandarin, so her father is looking at the pictures also..

People with a kiln can do almost anything when it comes to fooling people. The temperature to add a mark is much lower than the temperature that the piece was originally fired to so it is possible to add as much as one wants to.
    The quality of the faces suggests to me a modern piece.
    The quality of the calligraphy also suggests modern work.
    The fact that there is a mark over the original signature is the tell-tale sign that it is modern.
    It is unthinkable that a true imperial piece would have a mark over the seal. Imperfect pieces were broken, not marked '???' and then refired.
    If you get a good picture of the mark please post it. If possible the bottom of the piece would be interesting to look at too, a picture of the whole bottom. I am interested in seeing the quality of the porcelain where it is exposed on the bottom.
    Dave

Here is a link to the mark. Genuine Qianlong mark

Thank you again David...please excuse my ignorance...but when you say the whole bottom, are you talking about where it is painted along the sides, at the bottom...or closer pictures of the bottom, bottom, as in the first photo...

Hi David! I took some more photos and I hope they are what you were asking for...let me know? Thank you again for all your time! Respectfully, Sheri

bottomimages 001.jpg

bottomimages 007.jpg

bottomimages 004.jpg

bottomimages 008.jpg

bottomimages 009.jpg

I think it is a 20th. century piece. Quality of brushwork and the look of the glaze surface seem to suggest that. The mark on the seal isn't really visible but I haven't seen one like that before.

Thank you again David...you have been a tremendous help...