Start free trial

Blue and White Bottle Vase, no mark....

Hi Everyone it is me again! I have a blue and white bottle vase with no mark...it has rust spots that have come through in about six areas. The porcelain can be seen through when you hold it up to the light. I have no idea what year this would be or how I can tell. Thanks again!

bluewhitevase 001.jpg

bluewhitevase 002.jpg

bluewhitevase 003.jpg

bluewhitevase 004.jpg

bluewhitevase 006.jpg

I have asked an expert to take a look. Stay tuned!

Thanks Rebekah, you are the best!!!!

Just a note on the black specks.
    They are probably from the firing process. Porcelain's biggest enemy is iron. If any gets into the mix before it is fired it will make a brown or black discoloration that is larger and the edges are indistinct. The spots in your vase are smaller and have a cleaner outline suggesting that they come from something in the firing process, maybe debris from the kiln itself. Most debris from the kiln will contain iron and that is what is left in your glaze.

Thanks again for the information! Would you know its age at all? Or if it is from China or Japan?

It looks middle or later 20th. century to me. If I had to guess I would say Japanese because of the relaxed nature of the whole piece.

Thank you again David for your time and expertise!!!

Based on what I can see it's an Oriental bottle vase, Chinese in the Ming blue & white style. The problem being though is these pieces have never really been out of production and really require a "Physical" to determine what you have.