Start free trial

Would you know anything about this?

IMG_3626.jpgIMG_3624.jpgIMG_3623.JPG

While cleaning out my Mothers house to our surprise in the dugout part of the basement we found a dilapitated box full of sterling silver items. Oh such shame! One of the items did have a stamp on it of 1929 so we are thinking these items were my Grandmothers items that somehow got put down there when my Mom and Dad had bought the house from her parents. This item is sterling silver but has been painted green and we are hoping we can get the green paint off it but we are not sure what this would have been used for. It has 2 little prongs on the side of where you would maybe put a small spoon or fork or something like that.
    The bowl measures side to side 7 inches and 2 1/2 inches deep, approx 22 inches around and from the bottom to the top is about 11 inches high. There is a stamp on the bottom with a number 250 and has a crest that looks like a quarter moon and looks like it could be a face in that quarter moon. Underneath the moon looks like it could have 2 little stars and a k but it is so faint it is hard to make out. It also looks like it could say The Acme Silver Company. All around the bottom of the base there is about 14 circular emblems that looks like it could have a 4 leaf clover in the center of the emblems.

We are very curious to see if anyone would know anything about this piece and how old it may be?

Again thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

I have someone on it. Stay tuned!

Based on your images it's part of a late 19th century pickle castor. It originally had a decorative glass container to hold the pickles, the rest on the side was to hold the tongs/fork for the pickles. here's a link to what it may have looked like complete;
    Search pickle castor - Live Auctioneers

Thanks so much for looking at this for us, we I wondered if the little prong thing on the side would hold a small spoon, fork, etc. Thanks again