Start free trial

Question Vase with markings

Hi forum I was wondering if anyone has any idea what these markings mean on this vase what is the vase called and a value if known? Thank You!
    264.jpg263.jpg

The main 2 marks on the bottom read 'kozan'. It is possible there are other ways to read them but that is the most common reading. There is one more mark on the edge that is an incomplete #5 in Japanese. That is to say, it almost looks like a 5.
    The piece itself almost looks like Satsuma type ware. Almost because it appears to really be done in high relief. Maybe middle of the last century, 1950, or there about. It could also be later or earlier, it is difficult to tell.
    The image looks Chinese to me. Chinese and Japanese have been copying each other for hundreds of years so it isn't unusual to have a Chinese copy of a Japanese piece.
    Value. Good question. The name 'kozan' is a well known name in Satsuma but the famous Kozan uses different characters to render his name. There is a different Kozan that uses the same characters, and he or she made satsuma type ware. The price for that piece is expensive but it is an incense burner. I would put your piece in the 100$ range.

Thank you so much David for your response I appreciate it I spent several hours yesterday researching Japanese marks but I could probably spent a life time due to the enormity of it.