Start free trial

Are my heavy, framed copper pieces etchings, or?

It has been fun, searching your data base, but I am exhausted since I've no clue what they actually are, and have run out of leads!

The most facinaating are two purchased together, a matched set. These two are easily recognized likenesses of W.C.Field and Buster Keaton. Possibly photographic, the images (about 12"x14") are etched into brushed copper - very heavy- and professionally framed without mats. There are no identifying marks on the front and I have hesitated to rip the paper off the back yet.

Someone in the business suggested (sight unseen) they might be old photographic plates, and if that is the case, I would just need some good new "key words" to use! Two other, slightly smaller ones, appear to be architectural sketches, and they are signed, and bear identifying information, though foreign.

Hey, a picture (or two) is worth a thousand words. Would you be so kind as to post a few photos so we all can take a look here? Many thanks!

Apologies for posting before I had photos. My sweet husband just bought me a new camera so I can do just that! But it's been a long day, so will I'll charge it and post photos- tomorrow. Thanks for the reply. Think I'm going to like this place.

Looking forward to seeing your treasures!

Hi all. I spent all day yesterday learning how to work with a new camera, struggling with reflective glass and metal subject matter, and finally losing the images somewhere after uploading! Want to post here to let you know that I am working on learning your parameters for uploading to the site so I can finish this tonight.

Smile Finally!

Attachment 59Attachment 58Attachment 57Hotel de Ville Stadhuis Bruxelles by W Creighton.jpg

Well, I can't seem to control the images in order to move them apart, but hopefully you can access them without difficulty.

The first two images are of W.C.Fields and Buster Keaton, each 11"x14" (excluding frame) The third is a close-up of the one of Buster. They are nearly identical in coloration, which is not apparent here - and very heavy. No markings front or back. (I had them professionally framed- behind glass for protection, as there was a small check into the surface already.

The last is apparently from an artist's rendering, 9"x11", on glossy copper. Bottom left corner reads Hotel de Ville Stadhuis, Bruxelles Brussel. Signed bottom left -W(S?)Creighton.

There's a fourth piece, like this one, smaller, signed John Fields. Its value will have been affected by a "ring" left in its surface by something that sat on it. I have a few more photos, and details of these last two, if they would be helpful.

Thanks especially for any light you can shed on the nature of these old movie stars' images!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronslee; 07-03-2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Upload did not take hold, here with four attachments

I'm an artist- not a computer person! Managed to stack all four photos in the wrong order above. Perhaps that happened because I inserted the images before I typed in my reply?