Start free trial

Question Antique, very unique brass tea pot?

Some years ago, we purchased a small brass teapot from one of our antique dealer friends. We bought it because it was very unique and fit in well with our antique/rustic decor. I'd really like to know more about this teapot as I suspect it is quite old. Possibly it is from the Far East, but not sure, and possibly from the 19th-20th century. It has some dings/divits on/around the base and has a screen at the spout on the inside.

Any information you can share about this piece would be much appreciated as we'd like to ascertain the value, if any, of this very unique piece -- at least unique to us! My apologies for the lack of better quality in the photos. Hopefully though, enough can be seen to make an identification and its origin/age.

Thanks very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you see any marks or identification anywhere on the item - the bottom, lid, etc? How big is it?

Thanks for your reply RebekahK -- The pot is approx. 8" tall and 7.5" from the end of the spout on one end to the other. I do not see any readable markings on the lid or inside. That said, I could try to brush away some of the debris on the inside to ascertain if there is any type of ID. I was just a bit reluctant to do so since I think this teapot has been around for quite a while --- didn't want to do anything that would detract. Hope this helps and thanks again.

I have a question. What is the wrapping on the handle made out of?

Thanks for your inquiry. It appears the handle covering is wood - produced on some sort of lathe. Also appears to be painted in a black laquer, as is the teapot lid handle/knob. Hope this helps.