Start free trial

Stone or Jade Buddha

I was hoping someone could help me with this piece. I am unable to read what the front says, but I am sure that would help a lot. The piece is 3" tall by 2" wide. It appears to be either some kind of stone or possibly jade. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2012-04-12_14-18-08_988.jpg

2012-04-12_14-18-20_959.jpg

Is there anything on the bottom? It might be, although I have never seen one shaped like a Buddha, a seal stone.
    The writing looks like a poem, not really relevant to the use. Kind of like a biblical inscription on a Christian object.
    The first character, the large one on the right is 佛, a word for Buddha.
    Material is difficult to tell. Anything from stone, bone, to resin. There does seem to be a striation in the objects left shoulder which might suggest a kind of bone material. If it is ivory the bottom color should be significantly different because of oxidation. I don't think it is ivory.
    Hope that helps.

Oddly enough, no there is nothing on the bottom. I have some resin, celluloid, and bone pieces, but this is different than all of them. It is cool to the touch like stones are. Thank you for your quick reply.

There are four lines of text. The second from the right or third from the left, at the top, has these characters, 屈子 The reading is Kusshi. If you put Kusshi into a search engine your results are almost all Buddhist related. I think the piece you have is of Chinese origin. My specialty is Japan, not China so that is about as much as I can say.