Start free trial

It Doesn't Get Much Older Than This...

A 2,000-year old sculpture that may have been used as a garden ornament by its wealthy owner could sell for upwards of $1 million at auction next month, Christie's said Wednesday. Click here to read about this remarkable antiquity! What are your favorite antiquities - to collect or just admire?

I am a sucker for metals...especially copper!
    Nearly any kind of superbly handcrafted tray (inlaid with other metals, a bonus).
    I also love exquisitely blown or very old, thick translucent glass... vases , platters, compotes, etc.
    I am an artist, so my taste runs to one of a kind pieces, usually not knick knacks.
    Oh, and a boatload of "maybe-this-one-is-really-worth something...look-at-those-marks" beautiful old silver pieces that I need a better way to clean up! Anybody?

I like metal too, but HATE to polish, and don't like the look of tarnished things.

Hi. I've been looking for this thread ever since I posted to your question the other day. Thot it was in ceramics or something

You are right about the old tarnished silver, and mine is stored out of sight! But the winds are changing...have recently seen some arrangements done in very tarnished (well-patina'd) pieces. Can't wait for that to come into vogue!

For me, with each area of interest, it's also about studying the old marks, tracing their story, learning about the craftsmanship as it evolved. Could have gone into the field, but now I'm so busy, I can barely find time for a little posting and a bit of research.