Start free trial

Question R.M. Rose Whiskey Jug

Hi,

I am somewhat stumped on this one. I have a jug from the R.M. Distillery in Atlanta, GA. Due to the history I found on his company in Atlanta, the marking on this jug may reflect that is was made prior to 1896. As you can see in the photo, the markings have faded some.

What is baffling to me is that I cannot locate any jug with similar specs. At first I thought it was a one gallon jug like the one's I have spotted online; however, this jug will barely hold 3 quarts of liquid. Plus, the dimensions of my jug are smaller than that of a one gallon - - mine is approx. 6"D x 9"H. The handle is in great condition, but there are few chips around the jug's mouth.

Does anyone know if this is a rare piece?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you please write out the inscription on the front, as it is hard to read from the photo. Many thanks.

Yes. It says:

R.M. ROSE
    CO.
    DISTILLERS.
    ATLANTA, GA

Great, thanks. I have asked an expert to take a look.

According to my records Rufus Rose started out in Atlanta, when Atlanta went dry for a short period in the 1880's, Rose moved operations him to Chattanooga, until the Atlanta prohibition ended. The state went dry again 1907 and he operated in Chattanooga until 1916, at which time he sold the business to Paul Jones Distilling Co. This Jug probably dates from the 1880's before Atlanta went dry. As for rarity, no they are not rare, the smaller jugs tend to sell at auction for under $150.00.