Start free trial

Curule chair-reproduction or the real thing?

I bought this chair at a thrift store last month and though I've been researching it, I would like to know more detail. It is called a curule chair ( I do know the history of curule) and it is about 26" high and 28" wide. It has what appears to be horsehair stuffing under burlap on the seat, a cloth covering on the bottom and lion heads on each arm front and back. It has been painted twice and I think that it is made of oak but I'm not sure about that. Does it have much value? have included pics and can supply more if needed. Thanks for any info!curulechair.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let me get an expert on this for you. Stay tuned!

Your chair is late Victorian at the earliest, similar chairs were made up to about World War One (1914). Most of these are maple or birch with a dark mahogany dye stain, though some are actually mahogany, but I'd need better images to determine the wood type.

Thanks for the info.I'm uploading 2 close up pics of the wood. My husband is a carpenter and he feels sure that the wood is mahogany.Any more information that you can give will be much appreciated and if you are allowed to give an estimate on the value that would be great.curulewood2.jpgcurulewood1.jpg

It does look like mahogany, but again the images are blurry. Birch or maple with a dye stain is very hard to tell from mahogany in a blurry image. There is a test you can do, pick a spot on the underside of the chair and have your husband drill a 1/4" hole where it won't be seen about a 1/4 inch deep, if the reddish color is only on the surface, it is birch or maple with a dye stain, if the color remains the same to the bottom of the hole it's mahogany or a similar hardwood.