Start free trial

What Did You Read as a Child?

Most bibliophiles say that the books they read as a child greatly influenced their love of reading. I edited a newsletter on vintage children’s books for over ten years and I know this is true – people very fondly remember the books that first inspired them.

I read A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle almost without ever putting it down, even sneaking a few pages during the 5-minute breaks between my 7th grade classes. And I can distinctly remember reading Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House books, The Yearling by Marjorie K. Rawlings, The Secret Garden and A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett, and J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. And of course, my favorite, The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (that is still a great read today). I also spent Saturdays at my local library discovering “adult” books, including Alone by Admiral Byrd and anything by Aldous Huxley, Jules Verne, H. G. Wells and George Orwell. But my fondest memories have to include that iconic sleuth, Nancy Drew. My best girlfriend belonged to a Nancy Drew book club and she received 2 books every month in the mail. When she was done with them, she lent them to me. I literally read them under the covers with a flashlight, all night long. I could hardly wait to get them.

What did you read as a child? Dr. Dolittle? Little Women? Tom Swift? Frank Baum? The Black Stallion series? It’s so hard to name just a few favorites. Tell us what you loved.

I really loved well illustrated books as a young person. My favorites by far were those with drawings by Hilary Knight (who did the fabulous Eloise series of books), The Lonely Doll books by Dare Wright, and anything by Dr. Seuss. As a teenager, I loved Betty Smith's books, my most favorite being A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

Rebekah - Have you read The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll by Jean Nathan? It's an extremely fascinating look at Dare Wright's life.

I really enjoyed reading the Outsiders, Catch22, the Great Gatsby and Moby Dick. I really need to get back to reading some of the classics, they are so great and timeless.

I have heard of this book, but have not read it yet. I would really like to. I understand that Dare herself had some personal issues and suffered from addictions. Very sad.