This portrait plate is a late 19th Century piece by Hutshenreuther. Like many German porcelain makers of this period they used a version of the famous Vienna Porcelain works Shield mark, inverted and altered to resemble a beehive.
The company was founded In 1814 Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther in Hohenberg, Germany. His son, Lorenze Hutschenreuther, opened another porcelain factory in 1857 in another German city, Selb. (Selb would eventually become a center for porcelain manufacturing in Germany much like Limoges in France and Staffordshire in England.)
The two Hutschenreuther companies were owned separately by father and son, and were completely independent of one another. In fact, they competed against one another in the business of producing fine porcelain until 1969 when a merger of the two companies took place. The resulting company was named Hutschenreuther A.G., which continues to manufacture porcelain today.
Wilcox & Hall Appraisers