Sarreguemines Vaisselle was established in 1748 in the city of Sarreguemines in the Northeast of France. This region was chosen for natural resources needed to produce ceramic in the 18th century such as clay, an abundant water supply and wood, which was the sole source of energy.
Beginning in the 19th century, Sarreguemines Vaisselle replaced clay with kaolin and wood with coal. Later gas replaced coal as the primary source of energy. 250 years later all of theses natural resources are found only miles from the Sarreguemines Vaisselle factory.
Following the French-German war of 1870, the Sarreguemines region was annexed to Germany and prohibitive Customs duties were imposed. Subsequently,in 1872, the factory was transferred to the city of Digoin, 250 miles southwest, in the Burgundy region. At that time due to its outstanding reputation, Sarreguemines Vaisselle kept its name and the factory has remained in Digoin ever since.
Sarreguemines Vaisselle quickly acquired fame for its quality and continuous innovation. no less than 12 gold medals were won in international competitions during the 19th century and many more since. Napoleon Bonaparte bought pieces which can still be found today at Versailles and at the Trianon.
Dating Sarreguemines Pottery by the Marks:
* A lot of the Sarreguemines pieces are clearly marked. The company has used many different marks over the centuries, which enables us to date most pieces.
* Typically you will see the word “SARREGUEMINES” either impressed or printed.
* The impressed version was in use until circa 1900. The company used the printed mark after 1900.
* Between 1870 and 1890, the impressed Sarreguemines usually also has “MAJOLICA” impressed above it.
* Many times the Sarreguemines pieces have several impressed numbers.
* The number existing of 3 or 4 figures usually refers to the model. One number between 1 and 4 refers to the size, and the last two digits refer to the production year (like 05 for 1905)
* The impressed “U & C” within an octagon stands for Utzschnieder et Company and was in use until 1890.
* From 1881 on you can find majolica marked as Sarreguemines D & V.
* Sometimes Sarreguemines pieces are marked “ESDEVE”. ESDEVE (read SDV) stands for Sarreguemines, Digoin, Vitry-le-Francois, with Digoin and Vitry being the two companies that Sarreguemines had created earlier when Sarreguemines was annexed to Germany.
* The ESDEVE mark was in use until circa 1930.
Wilcox & Hall Appraisers