This FABULOUS, PRISTINE ORIGINAL 1903 Carnival Edition Mardi Gras chromolithograph is an insert from the February 24th edition of the New Orleans Picayune Special Mardi Gras Issue of the newspaper, sold for 10 cents. This paper has continuously published for 169 years.
A 1917 chromolithograph was featured on TV's the "Antique Road Show".
Pageant of Rex "King of the Carnival" Subject: Fetes and Feasts. This item was published by Walle & Co., LTD New Orleans, La.
This item is in excellent, unspoiled pristine condition. T are no rips or tears as this item has been framed behind glass for many years.
The colors are subdued possibly due to exposure to light over 100 years. The original folds are barely visable. Upon close inspection, the black ink of the advertisements on the opposite side of the page show through the newsprint paper.
This glass framed litho depicts 22 beautiful parade floats being pulled by horses. Each float was sponsored by a KREWE, the original being the Mystic Krewe of COMUS established in 1857.
1. Rex 12. Venetian Feast
2. Title- Fetes and Feasts 13. Chinese New Year
3. Lucullus 14. Mid-Air Revelry of the Fairies
4. Alladin's Feast to the Sultan 15. Crowning of Esther
5. Gothic Victory Celebration 16. Odin's Feast in Valhalla
6. Olympian Games 17. Agonalia to Janus
7. Midsummer Night Revelry of the Sprites 18. Field of the Cloth of Gold
8. Peruvian Sun Feast 19. Armor and Psyche
9. Love Feast 20. Babylonian Feast
10. Saturnalia To Saturn 21. Boreal Fairy Celebration
11. Floralia 22. Dionysia A Wine Festival
The brown paper on the rear of the frame is old and brittle. We did not remove paper or print from the frame so as not to damage it.
This item is being listed for an elderly friend who is selling the contents of her estate and does not have computer skills. This print has been in her family for over 70 years.
$20.00 additional for packaging materials - please read my feedbacks about packaging.
* Please note that I am not an expert and do my best to describe items to the best of my knowledge. If you have any questions please email me prior to bidding . Please do not bid on this item if you do not have a minimum of 20 positive feedbacks! Seller reserves the right to reject bids.
*Please see our other auctions for more estate items and other pieces.
* Thank you for looking and HAPPY BIDDING!!!!